ASUS X5IRL laptop says disc read error

grandmat 10:11 11 Jul 2013

Hello My laptop has stopped working and the message says disc read error. Do I need a new hard drive? If not is it just dead?

lotvic 13:56 11 Jul 2013

Try switching off the laptop by holding down the power button for about 10 seconds, then disconnect the mains lead and remove laptop battery (so there is absolutely no power to laptop)

next hold down the power button for about 30 seconds (to drain any residual power and clear the volatile memory)

now put battery back in and connect the mains and switch on.

This may clear the fault or instigate a 'Check Disk' (Chkdsk command) that will check the disk for errors.

Post back with what happens after you have done the above.

onthelimit1 18:29 11 Jul 2013

You could also try removing then replacing the HDD in case of a poor connection.

grandmat 21:15 11 Jul 2013

Thanks, will do this (but will have to wait for my grandson to carry out this for me)!!

grandmat 21:29 11 Jul 2013

Well have managed to remove the battery and follow the instructions above, but it comes up with the same message.

I'm not sure where the hard drive is though??

onthelimit1 22:25 11 Jul 2013

It will be under one of the covers (secured by screws) on the underside of the laptop.

grandmat 08:04 07 Aug 2013

Hello Apologies for the delay in replying - been away. Have tried this but nothing has changed, so will pop into my local computer "expert" and get him to have a look at it.

So many thanks for your help and will close this now

woodchip 18:25 09 Aug 2013

You may be able to get at the Drive using Windows Consul. Or try last known good Configuration After tapping F8 as its starting

it needs scandisc running on the drive

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?