Asus X54C - Windows 7 - Laptop is extremely slow and crashes

Serkus 11:44 19 Jul 2014

Hello, I have an Asus X45C running windows 7. I have had quite a few problems with this laptop. A month or so ago I was plagued with a blank screen after start up which never loaded into anything. I would have to turn the laptop off by holding the power switch. I was trying a few different things just to see if I could restore the laptop to factory settings. I believe I restored the laptop to first partition or something (sorry, i'm well out of my depth when it comes to stuff like this, I got the laptop for free a little while ago so I figured I had nothing to lose by trying this, however I do not know whether it was the correct thing to do).

The laptop began working again after this, obviously I lost all of my data and programs and I was left with a blank laptop other than what already comes on it (I think). I figured it should run smoothly after this but that's not the case.

Start up sometimes takes much longer than it should, with the windows logo staying on the screen for ages. Once I am signed in the the laptop is instantly slow, I can barely open internet explorer without everything starting to freeze. When CTRL ALT & DEL is unresponsive (which is quite often) i have to switch off by holding the power button. Basically the majority of the time i cannot perform the most simple of tasks, I am surprised I have been able to write this. I am a DJ and really need this laptop to function as I use to it buy, download and store my music. If anyone has any ideas as to what I can do I would be very grateful!

If you require any information just let me know.

Thanks a lot!

SparkyJack 15:29 19 Jul 2014

How old is it.

Is the machine still covered by any sort of warranty?

It could be a componnentvon main board d breaking down.

Try a few things

Remove battery and try a man us only start up

Then reverse this try battery onlystart

Remove memory cover and rose and replace memory/cards.

If accessible check the harddrivecis firmly plugged in.

Come back

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:28 19 Jul 2014
  1. back up all your important files before doing anything else.

2. run antivirus and antimalware programs

3. in the search box type

sfc /scannow

press Ok. let windows find and replace missing or corrupt windows system files.

Serkus 10:09 26 Jul 2014

SparkyJack, the laptop has 2012-07 on the underside of it, on the same label as the model no. etc. Is this how old the laptop is? As i said, i was given the laptop so im not sure how old it is.The laptop is just as bad if not worse when i have not got it plugged into the mains. It seems to keep trying to do some windows updates every now and again when i turn the laptop off, however it always crashes and never completes. Also, if i leave the laptop for a little while without touching it it will almost definitely freeze. I will try removing the battery and will try the other things that you suggested!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone