Asus restore and recovery partitions, what are they?

Jwbjnwolf 18:20 20 Sep 2013
Answered

I have got an Asus Vivobook s200e which I bought yesterday and it arrived first thing this morning, (i3 version) and am really really loving it. It is just so fast and well built for a 11.6" notebook that cost only £388 from Save on Laptops. And touchscreen too, which recognises 10 fingers at once, it is fantastic and I am even using the touch keyboard a lot which has surprised me a bit because it's not a convertible so you can't move it into like a tablet, but it is still very comfortable to type on.

Anyway,

I have just downloaded Easus Partition Manager (much easier to use that to partition the drive than using the inbuilt Windows partitioning tool), and I have just noticed that not only is there the Recovery partition, there also is a partition called restore.

what exactly is the restore partition? what is different about it to the recovery one?

just confused me a little lol, as I was only expecting to see the efi partition, os partition, data partition and recovery partition, not also the restore partition lol. Here's a screenshot..

woodchip 18:40 20 Sep 2013

You should not change any Partitions on the Laptop, As the Recovery Partition will not then work if you hit problems with the computer.

One thing I would encourage you is to buy Acronis so you can create a Image of the Laptop to a External USB drive

rdave13 18:51 20 Sep 2013

Agree with woodchip. Not familiar with Asus but I think one is for factory reset and the other is for restoring to how it is now. Similar to an image.

Jwbjnwolf 18:59 20 Sep 2013

I will likely do that get Acronis because I am thinking about sometime putting an SSD in this. The reason I partition is so that I can have a separate partition for Skydrive, seperate partition for Downloads, and a separate partition for Apps.

That way, it reduces on the amount of fragmentation that's created, as when the downloads partition gets fragmented, it won't of fragmented skydrive and everything else.

I know I could just keep it, the OS partition and Data Partition, but then your putting all your eggs into the same basket, so when one thing gets fragmented, everything on the partition starts suffering from it, so that's why I just like doing it this way, and if I can remember, the recovery partition will work even after partitioning, but it will delete itself after, so if I can create a recovery disk, then that'd solve it

Jwbjnwolf 19:01 20 Sep 2013

At least I know that Acer's eRecovery done that

Jwbjnwolf 19:01 20 Sep 2013

At least... I know that Acer's eRecovery done that

Jwbjnwolf 19:03 20 Sep 2013

Or at least, I know Acer's eRecovery done that if you edited the partition layout, but I'm certain that Asus and others would do it the same way

Jwbjnwolf 19:04 20 Sep 2013

oh my, ugh, remind me not to stop and refresh PC Advisor from loading the page when I post -_- lol

wiz-king 19:16 20 Sep 2013

If you fit a SSD don't try to defrag it - the don't like it.

Jwbjnwolf 19:41 20 Sep 2013

I know about SSD and defrag, that's just asking for trouble lol

rdave13 20:09 20 Sep 2013

And also apps will have to live on the SSD. I managed to get them installed on to another drive. All fine until I wanted to install another app. Long story. If you're serious to install an SSD I wouldn't go below 120 GB. I'm still running a 64 Gig SSD with OS and two other ordinary sata drives to install programs and have to keep an eye out for the SSD usage.

Lowest I've gone to is 17Gig but that's through video editing but too low for comfort. That's with hibernation etc. optimized. Have a look at this great article for SSD running, read it through, some will apply and some wont. Best guide I've found.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review

How to draw a mandala

iPhone X review

Musique en streaming : Spotify vs Deezer