ASUS p5n-e sli problems

veaviticus 01:10 28 Jan 2008

Hi guys. I just finished building my custom computer and I'm having some problems. When it turns power on, it won't display a picture to the monitor. The monitor just sits on orange stand-by. The harddrives spin up, the diskdrives work and everything seems to be fine. But it won't seem to display a picture or post. And then after about 30 seconds, it shuts off.

700 Watt PSU
Asus P5n-E sli mobo
Pentium D 925 @ 3.0 ghz
2 GB pc 6400 800mhz RAM (1 dimm)
Geforce 8600 GT
120 GB WD 7200 RPM
180 GB Seagate
DVD-ROM drive
Plenty of cooling in the case (a.k.a 200 mm fan, 6 120 mm)

I've tried reading up on some other threads and I really don't know what to do. i've read that resetting the cmos could work, but i don't know where the jumper is on this mobo (i don't have the manual) so if someone could give me some detailed instructions maybe that would work... I'm at a loss and a little frustrated. Any help would be great.

MCE2K5 03:26 28 Jan 2008

Manual & Downloads, click here

james-247317 06:24 28 Jan 2008

I have the same setup (well almost) except for these.
2 GB pc 6400 800mhz RAM (1 dimm)
120 GB WD 7200 RPM
180 GB Seagate

Try swapping the RAM module with a 1GB as I don't think the motherboard supports a single 2GB module.

Here is a compatibility list that you can use for refrence for best compatibility click here however there are some 1GB RAM modules that this board does support that isn't listed however as I have an OCZ 1GB RAM module along with 2X 1 GB Kinston Value RAM sitting in the machine.

veaviticus 08:27 28 Jan 2008

--update--

I do believe I managed to reset the BIOS through the CMOS jumper. I took out the battery and moved the jumper over for about 5 minutes then put it back to default. Still no luck.

Is there a chance the battery is dead?

And @ meman887 - I don't have another RAM stick available to me till this weekend... Do you have any confirmation that it won't accept a 2 gb stick? i kinda wanted to use it over the week.

Thanks EVERYONE!!!

veaviticus 15:27 29 Jan 2008

--bump--

keef66 16:58 29 Jan 2008

Just had a read of the manual and it should work with a single 2GB ram stick.

howard64 17:55 29 Jan 2008

I would go back to the begining - check you havent got the metal supports in the wrong positions. If ok unplug everything from the mobo and switch on and see if you get beeps and it stays on. If so put in the video card and connect the monitor. Boot up and see if you get a single beep and the monitor shows the post. If this ok install the hard drive and reboot. etc. etc.

veaviticus 20:18 29 Jan 2008

well i don't know what to do. i've tried as howard64 said and took everything off the mobo. i ran it with only the power and the fans connected and still it shut down...

and i don't know what you mean by the metal supports...the brass standoffs under the mobo? they were factory installed in my case. how could they be in the wrong posiitoins?

[email protected] 20:58 29 Jan 2008

Sorry to put it like this, but, you didn't just connect it all and expect it to work did you?
Is your monitor connected to your VGA card?
Installing the VGA card disables the onboard graphics. Did you have graphics via your mobo when you began your setup?
You need to be connected to the mobo graphics port FIRST in order to install the first lot of drivers - the mobo and/or perhaps before THAT, the latest BIOS and onboard graphics chipset drivers. No other hardware should be present at this stage except some memory, a floppy drive if you are flashing your BIOS, and a CD drive to run your mobo installation stuff.
If you have access to the net click here
Good luck, it's very rewarding ;-)

[email protected] 21:12 29 Jan 2008

PS: I have just read the bit about the cmos battery. Uhhh, that have been a mistake. You can remove it briefly in order the change the battery but prolonged battery removal will clear the cmos so you may have to hold down the Del key while you try to boot in order to get into the setup to set the defaults again.

[email protected] 21:26 29 Jan 2008

PPS: I assumed you have onboard graphics with your mobo, sorry. If you don't, then of course you need a VGA card installed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?