Asus M6 not starting at all.

m800afc 22:15 22 Jul 2009

Win XP Pro SP3
Apologies for more or less cutting and pasting this question, but please bear with me. I posted the following question a couple of weeks ago:

My Asus M6 Laptop has not been used for six days. Today I started using it and all loaded and started correctly. After about five mins The screen went very dark. There is a very faint ghost of a desktop, but nothing usable. The power settings are set to never turn anything off.
I have re-read the manual and there is nothing regarding this, and pressing the appropriate keys to bring it out of hibernation or standby have no effect.
If I shutdown the machine by pressing and holding start button, it shuts down normally. It will then restart normally, but after five minutes the screen will darken again, and so on.
What can be causing this , and how do I correct the problem.
I'm a little anxious because I am due to give a presentation with it in a couple of hours.

I was able to get it started using Paragon Rescue Kit 9 Express, but now it will not start at all. It does not get as far as POST, and Paragon Rescue Kit 9 Express is not initiated. At the moment my laptop is a very expensive door stop.

I do not have a recovery disk, but I do have the XP Pro disk for my desktop if that is any use. I have the XP key for the laptop, which is on the label stuck on the laptop.

I would appreciate any help in solving this problem, but bear in mind that I cannot access any part of the computer, such as control panel, task manager or anything. It will not even boot into safe mode.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:19 22 Jul 2009

"The screen went very dark. There is a very faint ghost of a desktop, but nothing usable."

classic symptoms of inverter or back light failure in the screen.

Do you want to strip the screen and repair yourself or send the machine away for repair?

m800afc 22:24 22 Jul 2009

If it is the backlight that has failed, is it something I could do myself? What tools would be required and what parts would be needed? I am confident that I have the skills needed, as long as I know what to do.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:36 22 Jul 2009

click here disassembly manual

click here asus parts but if you do a search you may find inverter and backlight cheaper on net.

m800afc 23:29 22 Jul 2009

Fruit Bat /\0/\

Thanks for the information. I tried the laptop on an external monitor and all is well. It would appear your diagnosis is correct. Having looked at the dis-assembly manual I think that discretion is the better part of valour, and I had better send it away for repair.

The next question is where should I send it for repair?

It is out of its normal guarantee, so I should imagine I will have to pay. Unless of course I can claim against ASUS using:

Sale of Goods Act 1979. Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982. Sale and Supply of Goods Act 1994. The Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002.

Which indicates a possible form of remedy for up to six years.

Any opinions?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:38 23 Jul 2009

click here cambridge laptop repair have a good recomendation from people on this forum.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?