Asus M2N-E m'board

johnem 23:39 28 Jan 2007

I am dithering about acquiring a new m'board and CPU. I have checked the spec of the above board, it is capable of supporting 2 off SATA HDD and also has 2 off IDE connections, which presumably can be each used with 2 off IDE drives.
Would it be possible/practical to fit at least one new SATA HDD as the "C" drive and still be able to run the 2 off IDE HDD as well? So that i could eventually end up with 2 of SATA HDD's and 2 off IDE HDD's. As I thought it might be wise to start off with a new SATA hDD which I believe has a slightly faster response rate?

Totally-braindead 23:46 28 Jan 2007

Yes you can. Each IDE channel will support 2 drives either CD or hard drive. If you fit a SATA drive you just choose to use SATA as your boot device.
Do bear in mind the power requirement and make sure your power supply unit can handle it though.

johnem 23:53 28 Jan 2007

Thanks T-B, I am intending to uprate the PSU to 520watts. so hopefully this will cope. Just was not sure if the mobo would know what was happening with a combination of drive formats. Thanks for the speedy response so late on a Sunday.

Totally-braindead 23:59 28 Jan 2007

Thats a big power supply. The PC I am on just now has 2 SATA drives in a RAID configuration thats the C drive, a backup IDE hard drive and 2 CDs connected via IDE. Its not a problem.

johnem 00:02 29 Jan 2007

Reason for larger PSU is to have larger fan, hopefully improved cooling and slightly reduced noise level. I ahve to change the PSU anyway to suit the new mobo, so for a few squid extra.... lets go over the top, so to speak.

Totally-braindead 00:05 29 Jan 2007

Get a modular one.
I forgot this when I built this PC last Xmas and had a hell of a time tiding away all the cables. Newer power supplies come with so many cables it can be a nightmare. Wish I'd bought a modular one and I could have got rid of the ones I didn't need, a lot tidier and easier to work on.

johnem 20:31 29 Jan 2007

Thanks T-B, will bear that in mind.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?