Asus EE and Mobille internet

shellship 17:37 22 Jun 2008

I am sure I read a post in which the FE not only said he had an Asus but also said he used it remotely to contact the internet, emails etc. It runs a form of Linux and I do not think the mobile companies have dongles which work with this. So how did he do it, please.

shellship 16:10 26 Jun 2008

Bump please

DieSse 18:04 26 Jun 2008

You do it by going to a place where they have open wi-fi access. Many internet cafes do - Starbucks does (at least in the States) - and I'm sure many other places do now in the UK.

The eeePC has wi-fi built in. My granddaughter has one, with a wireless access point in their home.

shellship 19:06 26 Jun 2008

Thanks. It is fine at home where we have wi-fi access on our network and also wherever there is another wi-fi access. What I was interested in was using the mobile network to access the internet etc which you can do with any lappy that runs Windows - buying a dongle from a number of mobile telephone operators like Vodaphone and T-mobile.

helen. 19:09 26 Jun 2008

like 3 use.

Like click here and click here

shellship 21:14 26 Jun 2008

Absolutely right. Possibly useful links. Many thanks - so far!!

54david27 09:05 27 Jun 2008

Hi Shellship, I use the EeePC with a 3G dongle, the EeePC OS has drivers built in for the Hauwei E220 dongle, I think most mobile operators use this dongle. More information can be found on the EeePC forums, click here or the wiki click here.

shellship 15:06 29 Jun 2008

Many thanks. Sounds complicated but will post as resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How secure is your Wi-Fi?

AMD vs Intel: we put the most powerful desktops for designers and artists head-to-head

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017