Asus A8N SLI Motherboards

Solartopi 19:59 10 Sep 2006

Hi Folks,

This may seem a stupid Question, but I'm still going to ask it. Has anyone out there built a new computer recently with any of the Asus SLI Motherboards?

I wish to build a new computer, my first attempt.
The trouble is I wish to use the all well known Asus SLI Motherboard. I have read so much reviews on the different types, some good reviews & some not so good. I'm now confused to which one I should go for. Okay, I don't play much Games on my computer but my grandkids do when they are here.
I need one that will help me do Multi-tasking. So I will go for a AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Processor.

Could any one with the experience of building a computer with any Asus SLI motherboards please advise me.

Thanks

Solartopi

Kate B 20:34 10 Sep 2006

I didn't build my PC but mine has an A8N SLI Deluxe - they're a bit hard to get hold of now, mind you, as I discovered when mine needed replacing because it wasn't feeding graphics output to the monitor. I have no idea if that was a widespread problem with that particular motherboard or if I just got unlucky: I suspect the latter.

Other than that, it's a good motherboard in my experience.

Solartopi 20:57 10 Sep 2006

Kate B,

Yes, I have read so much about the A8N SLI Deluxe too I'm also worried about these problems especially when you are building a complete computer for the first time.
I have done a lot of upgrading to my present computer though. Sometimes, it can be put down to bad luck but a few have had these teething problems.

Well building a new computer is a game of Chance even in todays high development in motherboard building technology.

Thanks

Solartopi

Totally-braindead 21:18 10 Sep 2006

I have a PC built on a A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard. There are a lot of problems listed on the Asus website for this board but the same can be said of almost all boards, in my opinion at least.
All I can say is mine has run perfectly since Xmas. I'm using the SATA and the Raid but have not tried the SLI yet as I haven't needed to add a second graphics card yet.
Its stable, well designed and hasn't caused me any problems at all. I must say I particularly liked the amount of cables they supplied as most motherboard manufacturers are rather skimpy on things like this.
I personally would recommend it based on my experience. I used an Athlon 3500+ but it will take up to a 4400 dual core I think. Its just I couldn't afford one of these at the time and I will probably upgrade it fairly soon. The instructions were good too.

Totally-braindead 21:19 10 Sep 2006

Toms Hardware do some nice reviews if you haven't read them yet click here

hzhzhzhz 21:38 10 Sep 2006

My son in law has an A8N SLI with an Athlon 4000. The only problem he had initially,when using 2x6600GT's (is that apostrophe right?.) was obtaining the correct drivers. He is now using same setup with a 7800 gpu. The board has done him well.
The last time I spoke to him he was thinking about upping to a dual core so I assume that the A8N willtake it.

Kate B 21:45 10 Sep 2006

No apostrophe needed, hzhzhzhz! Apostrophes denote a missing letter.

I think I was just unlucky with my motherboard - I've certainly had no problem with the replacement.

Trackrat 21:50 10 Sep 2006

I am using the A8N-SLi board with a X2 3800 and 2 x 6600gt cards, this has been running for about 8 months without a problem.
Utill I saw this post I did not realise there were problems with this board.

hzhzhzhz 23:05 10 Sep 2006

Kate B

Thanks

6600GTs :-)

Solartopi 12:10 11 Sep 2006

Kate B,Totally-braindead,hzhzhzhz,Trackrat,

Thanks a lot for all your comment. It does give me confidence to build one myself. I tnink most of the Asus SLI Motherboards have teething problems one way or another. I think the best is to read up as much as you can about these boards before making a choice. Read the Manuals, you get a lot of info from there. They are a bit fussy about what you slot into them. Especially the Graphic Cards & Memory, PSUs etc.

If a few more folks could come up & give their experience on building with these Motherboard it would help.

Thanks

Solartopi

Kate B 12:16 11 Sep 2006

I've got no problems at all with my replacement board with an FX-55 and 2x7900GTXs. I suppose the only limitation might be with upgrading RAM when Vista comes along as it only (only!) takes up to 4GB.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017