ASUS A8N-SLI with Maxtor HDD

wotbus@ 08:38 17 Jan 2006

Is anyone running the above combo? During my trawl for information I have seen referenced the fact that these two are not really good partners! Before I invest even more on another HDD I would welcome any advice. (I am currently running a Diamond9 200G with my A7N8X and was hoping to use it with my new A8N-SLI).

vinnyT 14:12 18 Jan 2006

Had no problems with a maxtor 120gb and hitachi 80gb on the a8n-sli.

wotbus@ 16:11 18 Jan 2006

Hi vinnyT. Thanks for that, much obliged. The reason I asked was this: I am getting together as much info as I can before upgrading (A7N with Athlon 3000+ up to A8N with Athlon64x2) and on this forum click here
the Maxtor is not really recommended! I have a 200Gb Diamond9 in situ and because I am a bit scared of losing data during the rebuild, I decided to add another HDD to mirror as a belt and braces safety. Then when all is OK ;-), the spare HDD would make it's way to my other older PC. The Maxtor's are much cheaper here than other brands but that's not really the point as I wanted to carry on using the one I have with the new mobo . The same forum and the A8N-SLI manual recommends using 2 HDD's for optimum performance. Got any views on that?

picklsey 17:07 18 Jan 2006

i,m running a8n32-sli-deluxe...4200 dual processor...main drive maxtor 160gig. second drive maxtor 300...third 200gig.all sata,no probs. here.hope this helps.

wotbus@ 17:32 18 Jan 2006

OK picklsey, thanks. I am tempted to do the upgrade with 2 x new HDD's [same size/make] for performance. Any views on that?

Totally-braindead 20:17 18 Jan 2006

I'm running the A8N-SLI Deluxe board with 2 80 gig SATA Seagate drives on RAID striping for performance. With an Athlon 64 3500+ a GeForce 6600GT and 2 x 512mb RAM its blisteringly fast. I must admit I haven't tried it on one drive without the RAID so its impossible for me to compare it. Lets just say I ran through the F.E.A.R. game full screen with no delays glitches or anything else. I'm happy with it. I wanted a dual core processor but they're too dear at the moment perhaps in a year or so.

wotbus@ 20:25 18 Jan 2006

Hi Totally-braindead. Sounds a good setup, what px unit do you use as it is still on my shopping list? I am not building for gaming but for the best I can get with flight simulator and compatibility between parts. I have a Radeon x800gto waiting to be added and I may or may not run 2 in the future so my px unit must reflect this.

Totally-braindead 22:44 18 Jan 2006

I bought a Tagan 480w TG-480-U22 I went for more power than I need now as I too may add another card later on and was wary of power problems. Its a good power supply but its a bit cramped with all the cables, have the spares tie wrapped and wedged in the top of the case but considering how many connections there on the power supply I think I should have got a modular unit so I only had the cables I needed. Never mind I'll remember that next time.

picklsey 04:26 19 Jan 2006

hi ,i assume you mean 2 h/d for performance same size you would run them on raid,well i havn,t tried that it looks to tecknical.i use 2gig memory (got from crucial)i also have a 500w blue star power supply i got from maplins about 75-£80 didn,t see the point in spending that sort of money on this rig and using a cheap power supply.i am not into games myself that,s the wifes department and she say,s it fly,s.i will be using it mostly for video editing.you might want to look into the board i have not long got the a8n32-sli as this is meant to be true sli where it uses all the pipes on the graphics cards.on saying that the a8n sli board i find to be a great board.hope this is of some help.

wotbus@ 09:14 19 Jan 2006

Totally-braindead. Thanks, it would appear from what I have read on different site's that the power unit is the one thing not to skimp on when building a rig with an A8N series mobo. At the moment it's a toss up between the 500/600w Seasonic S12. May seem a bit overkill but in the future I want to try running two HDD's on RAID (*picklsey) and a second X800GTO on PSI, so the pain in the pocket is now ;-).
Thanks everyone, that just about sorts it. Now all I have to do is wait for the remaining bits then put it all together - easy :-(

vinnyT 14:25 19 Jan 2006

wotbus@, sorry didn't get back to you, had logged off.

Get the seasonic, comes best in the reviews that count.

Have fun.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?