Asus A8N SLI deluxe motherboard chipset fan

micemews 13:20 18 Aug 2007

The chipset fan on my motherboard has failed, not an unusual occurrence on this motherboard I understand.

On 30 May this year I emailed Asus about this problem(somehow it was Asus in China that I contacted) and the next day China said that they would contact Their UK colleagues who would send me a replacement fan. Brilliant I thought, what a quick response. However Asus UK did not contact me, so I emailed China who said they would follow this up with the UK. Again there was no response from the UK. Two and a half months later and after 35 emails to China who each time said they would follow it up, I have still not had any contact from Asus UK. In addition I emailed Asus UK with all my correspondence with China but I have not had any response to that either.

Sorry if I have bored you with the above. I think I will have to give up on Asus, but I have now found an article which says that I could replace the original fan with a 40mm case fan, but I would need some #4 by 5/8 inch long screws, or if these can't be found then 3/4 inch screws will work with 2 #4 washers stacked under them.

Does anyone know where I could obtain these screws please.

User-1159794 13:29 18 Aug 2007

Here maybe.
click here

micemews 14:02 18 Aug 2007

Thanks Rapscallion. I have tried Oveclockers but the don' stock them.

micemews 14:05 18 Aug 2007

Sorry I should have said I have now tried Maplins and Overlockers, but the do not stock them.

User-1159794 08:29 19 Aug 2007

Have a look here.
click here

click here

johndrew 11:58 19 Aug 2007

Rather interesting.

I had a very similar problem quite recently click here and Asus had a replacement to me within a week. I contacted Asus via click here
and received an e-mail from Maggie Qian ([email protected]) which was followed by one from Darren Brown ([email protected]) who sent the replacement.

You should note the fan I received was of the `new` style used by Asus and, in my case, was not a direct replacement but a modification. The fan replacement requires removal of the motherboard and old heatsink/fan assembly and the new item is installed at an angle due to its increased footprint size.

Hope this helps.

Jannoth 20:16 24 Aug 2007

I have also had a problem with this motherboard. It's been going on (intermittent) for a year or so but I've never found a way of sorting it.

Then I found this thread, wow - I'm not alone! I read johndrew's message and immediately contacted Asus via the form and the two email addresses.

The Darren Brown email address was answered by another chap who responded within an hour or so and promised to get a replacement fan to me next business day.

Not arrived yet, but I thought it might help someone to hear the news.

Totally-braindead 20:25 24 Aug 2007

I wouldn't bother personally. I've had chipset fans fail on 3 different manufacturers boards, I can only assume they all use the cheap and nasty ones. I have the same board as you and when my fan fails I'll replace it with a heatsink same as I did with all the other fans that have failed. Cheap and means you never have to replace it again click here sorry they didn't have it in stock heres another click here

fxkitesurfer 08:55 02 Sep 2007

Try 1.5 years and i am still waiting for this damn replacement. Never any response from ASUS UK, even after sending them the form multiple times!! I ended up buying a passive chipset heatsink but it does not run cool enough.

johndrew 12:16 02 Sep 2007

I am surprised at some of the unhappiness with Asus expressed here and wonder how contact was made. I know some manufacturers are a bit less than helpful, but some customers also tend to go about things in less than reasonable ways or use the correct routes into the support organisations. I have found that using the formal contact facilities provided, giving full details of the problem and not expecting everything for free usually has the desired effect.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Aardman's new YouTube channel to share the work of independent animators

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017