Asus A7V8X motherboard Advice

astra46 15:15 19 Jan 2007

Dont know weather to upgrade the memory and if possible processor or just buy a new motherboard.

Any idea how much memory i can add to this?

I would like to play some games, ive a 128mg Radeon 9700 pro at the moment, getting on a bit now, ive only 512meg memory, so adding more memory is an option.

Any advise would be helpfull.

ed-0 16:30 19 Jan 2007

These are the cpu's that you can put into your existing motherboard click here. Though they will be hard to track down. Your best bet would be second hand.

Your motherboard can take pc2700 ( 333mhz ) and pc3200 ( 400Mhz ). You can use all three slots with pc2700, though only two slots work with pc3200. You could have a maximum of 3Gb of ram in this motherboard.

Unfortunately if you were to go for another motherboard, the cpu, memory would probably be obsolete. So you would have to add the cost of those on top. Also you will find new motherboards that support AGP, though you would be better trying to find one that supports agp and pci-e as well. So if you do upgrade the graphics card in time, you can go for the newer standard of card.

archir123 16:46 19 Jan 2007

arg socket a cpu , ed is right , rarer than hens teeth ;0)

your stuck unfortunately its the dreaded e bay or a big upgrade :0(

johndrew 16:57 19 Jan 2007

If you decide to stick with your motherboard and increase the memory, remember the 3Gb will include the memory held on graphics cards etc.

Gongoozler 17:20 19 Jan 2007

Astra46, I'm in a similar situation to you. I have an Asus A7V8X-X and have been looking at the upgrade options. Compatible processors aren't made any more, so to upgrade I need to consider a new motherboard as well as processor. A new motherboard will almost certainly have PCI-E graphics and no AGP slot, and so will require a new graphics card. My PC2700 memory is probably redundant as well. The next upgrade looks like being a biggie, so I think I'll stick with what I've got and just buy a nice big flat panel monitor instead.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?