Aston Shell

modsteve60s 23:23 05 Dec 2008

Hi
Can anyone please help me. I bought a new Toshiba laptop last month and I was so happy with it. I did today, however, download a programme by mistake and I am terrified I have broken my new computer.
I thought I had downloaded a CD/music catalogue programme. It turned out, however, to be something called Aston Shell something. It changed the outlook (registration??) of my computer, with a thirty day trial period. My restore disc or anything doesn't seem to be working. I don't know what to do. I'm afraid that at the end of the thirty days my computer isn't going to work at all. It's not working properly now. I can't shut the computer down properly and can't get into add and remove programmes. I'm at mt wits end, what can I do? Please can anyone help?

iambeavis 23:31 05 Dec 2008

Aston Shell is a desktop/shell replacement for windows - click here

There's some time since I used it but, from what I recall, there is a setting in the preferences to restore Windows Explorer as your desktop manager.

It would be best not to uninstall Aston until you have restored Explorer - no harm will have been done to your OS.

modsteve60s 08:47 06 Dec 2008

Thanks for that, it sets my mind at rest. I don't however know where to find preferences in order to restore Windows Explorer. Can you help? Thanks.

iambeavis 10:34 06 Dec 2008

As I wrote, in my previous post, there's some time since I used it, so I'm not to sure where you would find the setting.

On installation, Aston ( and other alternative shells ) sets itself as the default desktop manager - somewhere in the interface will be a setting ( usually a tick-box ) which allows you to reset the desktop manager to default ( Explorer ), it's just a question of finding it and, I seem to recall that Aston has a fairly good instruction manual.

I found the answer here, in fact all the answers are here - click here

It's under "Troubleshooting" and it's the third one down.

Hope this helps

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

These hilarious robot GIFs will be sure to make you smile

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie