Assigning IP Addresses

isabellwitt 13:51 11 Mar 2006

Hi there
Does anyone know how to manually assign an IP address? I have a new laptop and our router does not assign the right IP address. Therefor I can't conntect to the internet. The wirless works fine on two other PCs at home.

mgmcc 16:27 11 Mar 2006

Open the Network Connections folder, right click the appropriate connection (Local Area Connection or Wireless Network Connection) and select Properties. Highlight the "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" entry and click the Properties button. That displays the box in which you can enter your fixed IP address.

You need to enter a unique address in the same range as that of the router itself. For example, if the router's IP address is 192.168.1.1 use something like:

IP address - 192.168.1.5

Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway - 192.168.1.1 (the *ROUTER'S* IP address)

DNS Server Address - 192.168.1.1 (the *ROUTER'S* IP address)

Just make sure you are allocating an address in the same range as the router and other PCs (the first three parts or "octets" of the IP address) and that you pick an unused number for the final octet.

isabellwitt 19:36 11 Mar 2006

Thanks for that. Unfortunately I am still not able to connect to the wireless internet. This is a brand new laptop from Dell. It works fine when connected with a cable but for the wirless it tells me limited or no connectivity.

I have already spend hours on the phone to BT and Dell who have checked all the settings and nothing works.

I have downloaded the Microsoft Windows SP2 patch, have disabled the firewall, checked the LAN card, reinstalled the BT router software, nothing works. The manufacturer, Dell, is saying the router doesn't assign the right IP address and that BT should change the router's channel settings.

However, the wireless works fine on two other PCs in the house and BT says if they change the router channel settings, the other PCs will not connect to the internet. Is this true?

Also, do you know why Dell would build a wirless network card into a standard PC that doesn't match with a standard router??

I am just toally lost. Any help would be appreciated.

mgmcc 20:25 12 Mar 2006

<<< It works fine when connected with a cable but for the wirless it tells me limited or no connectivity. >>>

On the face of it, that doesn't appear to make sense. The "Limited or No Connectivity" indication normally means that an adapter is set to get its IP address automatically, has been unable to find the DHCP server from which to get it and has been allocated a default IP address in the 169.254.x.x range by Windows. However if you have given it a *fixed* IP address, this wouldn't apply.

<<< However, the wireless works fine on two other PCs in the house and BT says if they change the router channel settings, the other PCs will not connect to the internet. Is this true? >>>

There shouldn't be any need to change channel numbers if the other PCs are connecting reliably. Normally though, Wireless Network Adapters should adjust automatically to the channel of the router they are connecting to.

<<< Also, do you know why Dell would build a wirless network card into a standard PC that doesn't match with a standard router? >>>

Wireless networking uses the 802.11b & 802.11g protocols so there is no reason why Dell's WiFi shouldn't be compatible with standard networking hardware. I'm not familiar with BT routers, but would suspect that if anything has a compatibility issue it would be that. Does it, for example, have any particular procedure you have to follow to allow new Wireless Adapters to connect to it? Are the other PCs using BT branded Wireless Network Adapters?

Silly question, but have you actually "Connected" to the wireless network with the Dell? In other words, have you run the wireless adapter's software, scanned for "Available Wireless Networks", found and highlighted the one that matches your router's SSID (network name) and selected the option to "Connect" to it? Once "connected", the wireless adapter should get its IP address by DHCP from the router and you should have internet access.

isabellwitt 14:02 13 Mar 2006

You are right, after I have manually assigned an IP address, it doesn't say "limited or connectivity" anymore. In fact it says connected, signal strength very good, but I am not able to get online.

In terms of Connected to the wireless network: I have not run a wireless adapter software. Is this neccessary? I did get the message: "wireless networks detected" message, so I went ahead and connected to my network name, put in the wireless router key and then it got stuck when assigning an IP adress. Since I manually assigned the IP address it still says connected to my wireless name, but when I click on "view wireless network connection" my network name doesn't come up.

shoreyda2nd 18:06 16 Mar 2006

i have a similar problem. i always had no problems but bent my card and so bought another one. I am now connected to the network but cannot access the interent, and when using a cable it works totally fine. I manually typed in my other computers ip address, default gateway etc, and then changed the last number but still no luck, any ideas. thanks, marc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?