Assembled new PC but error messages at bootup

May the Schwarz be with you... 18:44 27 Mar 2004

Hi, I recently bought a new Shuttle SN45G and stuck my Duron 1.3Ghz, 256MB PC2700 DDR RAM, Maxtor 60GB ATA133 hard drive and Liteon 52x32x52x CD-RW drive into it. Manages to boot up ok. I used Arctic Silver on my CPU and through BIOS, I get CPU temperatures of between 35-42C. The 200W PSU in the case does blow out quite warm air though.

Anyways, I keep arriving to the menu where you can choose 3 safe-mode options, some last known good configurations and start Windows normally. If I choose the first safe-mode option, it loads up some Windows gibberish and when it gets to some nup.sys file (I can't remember clearly the exactly name), it hangs and I have to restart. If I choose the last known good configuration, a white bar fills up at the bottom and then hangs. If I choose the start Windows normally option, the timer hangs as well. At one time, I also got a quite flash of a blue screen and then it restarted.

I have tried booting with the CD and repairing the Windows installation. I choose which installation I want to install so I press '1' for my C drive and then it asks for an admin password. I have set a password to log into my PC before but I have disabled it for some time. I'm the only user on the PC and when I boot up, I have to press OK to load Windows. So how do I repair Windows if I don't know the password?

Also, I moved some of my stuff to my brother's PC and have changed quite a lot of stuff like the motherboard, CPU and graphics card and at times, it keeps getting error messages at bootup, although safe-mode seems to work.

Therefore, would I be right at guessing that this problem is due to me switching around the components too much and that I need to format my drive?

At the moment, I'm having to plug my hard drive and my CD-RW to my brother's PC since it contains the motherboard, CPU and graphics card I previously used. I'm going to backup all my stuff to be safe.

Finally, it's fortunate that my hard drive is on 2 partitions. My C drive is where I have installed Windows and my important stuff like NVIDIA and sound car drivers. My D drive is full of stuff that I can't bear to lose. Therefore, would I be able to solve the problem by simply formatting the C drive and therefore, don't lose my important stuff?

Sorry guys if I have typed too much but I really need help and I didn't think that change my components for my new PC would be that difficult.

Regards

R4 18:55 27 Mar 2004

Have you loaded the Shuttle Mobo Drivers; Try booting with minimum system ie. only the graphics card and the hard disk.

What version of windows are you using.

R4 18:55 27 Mar 2004

Have you loaded the Shuttle Mobo Drivers; Try booting with minimum system ie. only the graphics card and the hard disk.

What version of windows are you using.

VoG II 18:57 27 Mar 2004

When it asks for a password just press Enter.

How do I load the Shuttle Mobo drivers? Do I just make sure that the first boot device is my CD-RW and then boot up with the CD inside?

Yea, at the moment, I only have the graphics card, hard drive, memory, keyboard, mouse and CD-RW plugged in.

I'm using Windows XP Professional.

When I press enter, it says 'invalid password'.

R4 19:03 27 Mar 2004

the Shuttle Mobo drivers are on the CD that came with the mobo, you need to get into windows to load them, Sorry I can't help on XP as I prefer Win98.

josie mayhem 19:03 27 Mar 2004

sadly you didn't say what windows you are using, I'm assuming that it's xp?

If your motherboard is a different make to your old one, then windows might not be finding the information that it is expecting, causing it to hang and/or crash. Remember the configurations for the new board well may be different.

So it sounds like that a reformat will be needed. You should be able to just reformat the windows partition and reinstall.

What effects having some of your drivers on D drive I'm not sure, but if I was you I would replace the drive on your brothers and see if it boots up, and then back up all your files on The D drive just in case, before adtempting reformat.

Then reformat and reinstall windows on C: drive, and see what happens with the D: drive, you might get away with it.

good luck, hopefully someone else might also see this post, and give more/better info than I have.

R4 11:29 28 Mar 2004

If as you say it's XP don't you have to re register / authorise when you fit new hardware like this

josie mayhem 21:34 29 Mar 2004

If May the Scwarz be with you.. is using XP, it should really be given him a warning message that he's over step the mark!

As it can detect hardware changes, but how and when it decides that you've made to many chages is a law unto it self.

He's system is more likely hanging because he's configuration has change on the new mobo, and windows is going around in loops trying to find a bit of infomation it needs before going onto the next bit.

I ponder how realistic registering XP is? I was given my copy of XP, it had been on my ex-husband computer (activated and registered) but he didn't like it, so gave it to me. When I installed it onto my system, I couldn't activated over the net, but had to make a phone call to there customer services, I must admit that I had my explination all worked out, but they never querried it or anything, and I never had any trouble activating it after a case of sticky fingers, leading to a reformat and reinstallation!

P.S

I know that my copy of XP is only registered to this computer, has I've got the Disk and documantation, along side I reformated my ex-husbands computer and reinstalled his copy of win2000. But at the end of the day I never or nor did he inform microsoft of the removal of XP from his computer?

Anyways, I formatted everything after I backed up all my files on CD-R. I decided it was a good time to partition my drive as well. I partitioned my 60GB hard drive into a 10GB one for Windows and my othe important files like nVidia drivers, another 10GB one for my program files and then 40GB for all my music and movie files etc....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?