Asrock 775i65G Motherboard BIOS question...

bigsteevio 13:01 13 Mar 2008

Hi all...

Hope someone can help me out here somehow!

I have just been given a new motherboard:

click here

For this motherboard, I have just purchased a CPU:

click here(22054)...0-2x20GHz.aspx

As you can see from the listing on the page of the mobo, it says I require a 2.0 board or later and at least a ver 2.80 of the Bios.

Ok...

I have a rev 2.03 board, which is required, but it says to run a conroe chip like the one i have just purchased, it requires the BIOS version to be 2.80

I do not know what BIOS version is currently on the Motherboard but let's assume the worst and say it is below version 2.80.

What I need to know is: if I install the CPU on to the board and boot up, will it allow me to get to bios or the o/s to update the BIOS?

If not, then what is the best solution?

Thanks in advanced guys...

Steven

bigsteevio 13:02 13 Mar 2008

The link never published correctly, but it is the:

Intel CPU Pentium DualCore E2180 2x2.0GHz 800MHz 1Mb LGA775

Thanks...

T0SH 14:12 13 Mar 2008

There is a list of supported CPU`s for your motherboard here

click here

Cheers HC

T0SH 14:17 13 Mar 2008

And yes you will be able to boot into BIOS setup

Cheers HC

bigsteevio 14:44 13 Mar 2008

Thanks Tosh.

I've already checked the compatibility list, which is how I obviously came about the Bios issue and it needing 2.80.

I am sure it will boot to bios, but will it let me boot to DOS or the operating system for me to flash the bios and update it?

Cheers

Totally-braindead 15:46 13 Mar 2008

I cannot be 100% sure but it should. BIOS updates are "usually" to allow support for newer processors. If it doesn't support the processor with the BIOS it has it should still run it just won't run at perhaps the correct speed and will not correctly identify the processor. But it should still run.

You already have the board and have bought the processor so once it arrives all you can do is try it.

T0SH 15:54 13 Mar 2008

I would not worry too much about it, you will be able to boot up to the OS CD and install your flavour of Windows with the current BIOS version and even though you may not be running at 100% full performance with your chosen CPU, once you are up and running in Windows you can if needs be organise to upgrade the BIOS code from there

Cheers HC

bigsteevio 17:06 13 Mar 2008

Ta guys...

I was hoping that it will just run at a lesser performance,- enough for me to flash.

But as you say... all I can do is try.

I won't click this as resolved yet, but i'll let you know how it goes...

Thanks again :-)

Totally-braindead 17:11 13 Mar 2008

I haven't done this myself which is the reason I am not 100% sure it will run ok. But I have seen lots of posts over the years from people whos motherboard won't correctly identify a specific processor or whos processor runs at a slower speed and the solution was to flash the BIOS to support the new processor.

You might be pleasantly surprised and find its the latest BIOS anyway and might not need to do anything at all.

Do be careful. I have never had a problem updating the BIOS but be sure you have the correct BIOS download as if you do flash the BIOS and something does go wrong you will effectively kill your computer.

I'm sure this won't happen, as I said I've never had a problem but I have always double checked everything before going ahead.

bigsteevio 19:00 13 Mar 2008

click here

One assumes it will be either of the top 2 options in the BIOS section, depending on flashing from DOS or windows?!

Totally-braindead 19:06 13 Mar 2008

As long as that is the motherboard you have then yes I would say those would be the correct ones as they are the latest for that board.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?