ASRock 4CoreDual-SATA2 & VGA Compatibilty

Giggle n' Bits 23:34 07 Dec 2007

Looking to build around this ASRock 4CoreDual-SATA2 Motherboard and notice that on the ASRock Website their is a VGA Support List for what I understand is a list of PCI-Express Graphics Cards that are compatible with this motherboard.

Does someone know how strict this rule is and is it really required to source a PCI-Express Graphics Card to match the board taken from the list at click here=

I looked at other similar boards and it seems its only this one I choose which seems to be picky about them

Is it really vital to actually source a listed card in the list, personally it seems a bit of a name dropping ad scam forcing people to buy the listed branded etc.

Giggle n' Bits 23:35 07 Dec 2007

I intend to build around XP Pro SP2

Giggle n' Bits 13:55 08 Dec 2007

Again, ASRock have a VGA Support List of PCIE Graphics Cards, I am using WinXP Home and want to build around this 4CoreDual-SATA2 Motherboard.

What I don't understand is are ASRock saying you can only use the listed PCI-Express cards and no others.

Thanks for any help with the above!

gudgulf 14:14 08 Dec 2007

I have a system built on an Asrock 4core Dual VSTA motherboard...it's the same as yours but with only SATA-1 support.

You have to bear in mind two things with a board such as this.

Firstly,although a very versatile board (AGP and PCI-e graphics/DDR and DDR2 memory support etc) it is a budget product.

That means it's not guaranteed to support all graphics cards,for example.

Asrock's list of supported products is just telling you what they've tested the board with..and what drivers.Note that most drivers used are old versions.

Secondly,the PCI-e slot will only run at x4 and not x16 due to motherboard chipset limitations.

This might affect the absolute performance of,say, an 8800gts card.

It should be ok to use any graphics card...but the fastest might well not give their full performance because of the PCI-e limitation.

Make sure you use the latest drivers from ATI or nVidia.

The best choice of graphics card will depend entirely on what you are going to use the pc for.

Giggle n' Bits 14:25 08 Dec 2007

Are you sure its only SATA-1 looking at click here under connectors its states 2 x Serial ATAII 3.0 Gb/s connectors

I was looking at using either MSI GeForce 7300GT 256MB PCI-Express or MSI 8400GS 256MB DDR2

Wonder if the reason ASRock have tested with the older Graphics drivers because they have used the CD Supplied ones?

Wonder also now what motheboard around the £38 would give me the x16.

Are you happy with your 4CoreDual-SATA 2 ?

Giggle n' Bits 14:54 08 Dec 2007

Where did you get this info from "Secondly,the PCI-e slot will only run at x4 and not x16 due to motherboard chipset limitations" I know that their is Memory read limitation on this board but didnt know about the PCi Express limit. How much is this limit, would I notice it ?

gudgulf 14:55 08 Dec 2007

Yes I am absolutely positive that MY motherboard is SATA-1 click here

That's the only difference I can see between my board and yours.

Mine is the 4core Dual VSTA motherboard.

I am happy with it because it allowed me to upgrade to a C2D cpu and still keep my Gainward 7800GS+ graphics card/DDR400 RAM when my old motherboard expired.

It has its limitations though...as I've mentioned,and I'll be upgrading to a decent motherboard when I upgrade the graphics card to a fast PCI-e one.

If you don't need the legacy hardware support (AGP/DDR) then this might be a better bet click here(23294)MSI-motherboard-P31-NeoF-LGA775-Intel-P31.aspx

A bit dearer but using a much more modern Intel chipset.

Or click here(21206)Asus-Motherboard-P5BSE-P965-LGA775-Core2.aspx

On the other hand if you are looking at graphics at the level you say,the Asrock Dual SATA-2 wont disappoint you.

gudgulf 15:09 08 Dec 2007

For information on the PCI-e x4 speed have a look at some of the links on click here=

There is Information on the Asrock site too...but it isn't made obvious in the product information.

Would you notice it....no you wouldn't.Not with a 7300 or 8400 series card.

PCI-e at x4 has the same performance(bandwidth) as AGP8x and that isn't limiting he performance of my much more powerful graphics card (the Gainward AGP 7800GS+ has a 7900GT chip on it).

You would need to go well above the performance of a 7900GT to start getting any performance hits.Even then you wouldn't necessarily notice except if you are running Benchmarks.

From the graphics cards you quote I suspect you are not building a gaming rig so the graphics limitation wont be an issue.

Giggle n' Bits 20:56 08 Dec 2007

You beat me to it, I was going to mention that the motherboard you has was the VSTA model.

I have also had a quick look arround for other S775 boards and will be doing later.

Them links didnt take me direct to the product, I had to search for them but thanks anyway.

Are you in the Manchester or near area? with you pointing me towards Micro Direct?

I do intend to let the machine be used for them SIMMS games not for myself though and thought the 8400GS cards would do it with comfort.

Thanks again for the call.

gudgulf 23:08 08 Dec 2007

Well yes I am in the Manchester area.....and I work just across the road from their headquarters.

But I was using Micro Direct as an example of the type of alternative to the Asrock you could consider.

Looks like Micro Direct have changed their site and direct links don't work.......still at least you can browse the site.

I would suggest however that if any sort of gaming is intended a better card than the 8400 is used.

Depends on your budget of course,but look here click here

Not Micro Direct this time...scroll down and look at the 7600GT....a much more powerful card at a reasonable price.

Or this AGP card click here which is more powerful still and will work very well in the Asrock board.

Giggle n' Bits 23:20 08 Dec 2007

Will spend most of sunday looking arround but more idea what to look for.

Thanks!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?