Aspire M7720 Removable Hard Drive not found

washfowler 12:37 27 Mar 2009

Removable 1TB Eco Drive is pushed in to tower via front panel but computer is not showing it. Search for new hardware is also failing to find. Acer said it was probably a faulty machine and to return. Did that, got new machine and still have same problem. Acer not much help and user guide is unavailable online. It has an internal 750gb hard drive but it is this "removable" one that isn't registering. Running Vista Home Premium.
Anybody had same problem or know a solution?

Zeppelyn 16:21 27 Mar 2009

So when you push this eco drive into tower, what exactly does it connect to inside the tower?

washfowler 18:19 27 Mar 2009

Zeppelyn
It is supposed to connect to a female socket like a memory slot. Acer support have come back and said it must be done with no power. I've just done that and I have a drive F. But if I click on it, it is saying "please insert disk"

Zeppelyn 20:24 27 Mar 2009

Ive not come across one of these but maybe it needs to be pushed in more firmly. Does the drive show in device manager ok and can you see it in disk management?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:40 27 Mar 2009

I have a drive F. But if I click on it, it is saying "please insert disk"

Go into disk management and initialise and format drive F.
It should then show correctly in My computer.

washfowler 21:52 27 Mar 2009

Just checked and drive F was a card reader on a multi-function printer, sorry! So disk is not being read at all and not visible anywhere. Can't push it in any further as design of tray stops at handle and tray appears to stop short.

washfowler 15:29 01 Apr 2009

Further contact with Acer and problem solved. The instructions for installation do not state or show that the retaining pins on the guide tray are supposed to be inserted in the Hard Drive's existing screw holes. Once put in right place it works perfectly!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?