aspire 5315 wont power up after flashing bios

disasterdave 17:17 30 Oct 2009

help! after being told by my local pc shop to flash the bios, the laptop no longer powers up,
is there a way to clear the settings, as i understand you can change the jumper settings on the motherboard, any help gratefully recieved.

dave

GaT7 17:48 30 Oct 2009

Was the BIOS update successful? If yes, & you can get into the BIOS at the very least, load 'default values' & reboot. G

disasterdave 17:59 30 Oct 2009

the bios wasn't successfuly , there was an error verifying it then it shut down

GaT7 18:02 30 Oct 2009

In that case, the only way to get it working again is to get a correctly reflashed BIOS chip & replace the faulty one with that.

What's the make & model of your laptop?

Hopefully it's one that can be replaced in this way & they are available to buy. G

disasterdave 18:06 30 Oct 2009

acer aspire 5315

GaT7 18:50 30 Oct 2009

Sorry, you did mention it in your title.

Your best (& cheapest) bet would be to get a replacement BIOS chip from click here (or from any other site you can find) for just under £15. The one you need lies 4th in the 2nd column. Before buying, it would be best to make a few queries with them to be certain of getting the correct one. Provide all info about the laptop & markings/codes on the BIOS chip itself. You will need to dismantle the laptop & expose the motherboard to find out the BIOS chip info. All the best with it.

The other options are getting a replacement motherboard or laptop, both of which are going to be considerably more. G

disasterdave 19:40 30 Oct 2009

thanks for your help

woodchip 20:53 30 Oct 2009

Try removing the Clear CMOS jumper, As on some BIOS it reverts back to OLD BIOS

mooly 07:30 31 Oct 2009

Many Acer's have a way of BIOS recovery accessed by pressing FN plus ESC and pressing power button (while on AC) but you need a special "crisis" disc that is put onto USB to load it.

I don't know how or what that is...
"Quote" it is prepared in WinXP when BIOS V1.00 is released.

That's from an Aspire 9300 manual.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache