Ask Toolbar and other possible Malware

hawthorn59 04:03 15 Apr 2014

Hi Folks

I think I accidentally downloaded/installed Ask toolbar and possibly some other malware recently. I think my laptop is running slower, but certainly occasionally I get an extra window opening up trying to scan for problems! PCAnalysis or some name like that.

I also appear to have chambers(uk) and conduit search listed under search engines. I think there could be even more nasties than I know about.

Tried IOBit uninstaller and add/remove but Ask doesnt show up I think I did manage to disable it in Chrome or Firefox (not sure which, use both).

2 questions:

Is there an online scan I could use (or one I can safely download) that will tell me what exactly I am infected with, if I am?

I read where it is better to do a clean wipe and re install the system to really get rid of nasty things. Is this so or is it easy to remove whatever may be there?

thanks folks

h

onthelimit1 08:46 15 Apr 2014

A reinstall is last ditch when all else fails. If you want an online scanner, use the free Hitmanpro (tick the 'one time' scan box. In add/remove look for anything unusual and delete. In each search engine, go to settings and reset home page to the one you want.

Chazzyb17 08:49 15 Apr 2014

the ask toolbar should be in the uninstall programs list (control panel > programs and features)

i would install malwarebytes and do a full system scan and see what you find, after dealing with the malware/virus/etc. (if you struggling to run malwarebytes boot into safe mode and try again)

after a reboot, then install and run CCleaner.

what antivirus are you using?? and what Operating System are you using?

BRYNIT 11:25 15 Apr 2014

If you have installed any free programs and did not read everything and deselect programs not wanted or did not select custom install you will install programs/toolbars you do not want/need.

As Chazzyb17 has said Ask is usually in the uninstall or change programs if you check the date it was installed you can also look to see if anything else was install at that time.

wee eddie 12:17 15 Apr 2014

Malwarebytes may identify it as a PUP and give you the option of removing it.

hawthorn59 14:50 15 Apr 2014

Thanks everyone so far!

Just there now when I clicked this page to reply, straight away a pop up page about making money popped up!

Windows 7, Microsoft Security Essentials, thats it!

thanks

h

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:31 15 Apr 2014

Get rid of MSE

install Avast as your antivirus (register for 1 year, reregister yearly)

and Malwarebytes for antimal/spyware protection

with SpywareBlaster as a blocker

To get rid of PUPS / toolbars etc. AWDCleaner is good

All are free

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?