ASDL v Cable Broadband

Pete90210 20:12 03 Jul 2007

I'm aware that ASDL is via phoneline and cable is via cable provider connection but is there a massive difference in speed of the 2? Is 8mb ASDL the same speed as 8mb cable? I'm aware that the capability of phone exchange and distance away from it also affects speed. The reason I'm after info is i've recently got ASDL 8mb broadband and it doesn't appear to be as quick as other peoples broadband i've used.

If there is a difference between the 2 is there a way I can speed it up?

I've got a wireless router which is capable of 108 mbps but only ever get between 36 & 54 mbps.

Any info would be gratefully appreciated

howard64 20:58 03 Jul 2007

with adsl it is a case that the further you are from the exchange the slower your connection will be. Cable being fibre has the potential to run at almost whatever speed they decide to send. All supplies are subject to contention ratio - this being the number of people on line at the same time. The bandwidth is split between everybody the more online the less bandwidth each. I hope this clears it up a bit for you. I am on an up to 8MB adsl but have never got more than 2MB.

Dipso 21:49 03 Jul 2007

If you can post details of your connection that will give an idea of what speed you should expect to get and what you are actually getting.

Look for your modem or router in the list click here and follow the instructions, then post back.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?