Arranging Desktop Icons

pj123 14:39 12 Nov 2007

I arrange my desktop icons by name.

It starts off OK in the first column with programs from A to Z.

Then it starts again with the rest of my programs from A to Z.

eg. I have Avg, Belarc, Epson, Jetaudio, Maxblast, Nero, PowerDVD etc... up to Wismp3.

Then is starts all over again from Adaware, Advanced Windows Care, Auslogics, Avery, Ccleaner, etc... up to xxclone.

Why doesn't it do A to Z all in one go?

johnnyrocker 15:39 12 Nov 2007

i dont know but mine is the same

johnny

esbe 00:11 13 Nov 2007

some info here

click here

cheers

BT 08:19 13 Nov 2007

To keep your desktop organised get Icon Restore from
click here

It will save yuor layout and put it back how you want it if it gets disarranged.

johnnyrocker 09:02 13 Nov 2007

unable to install the item, i get file access denied, any ideas? (not wishing to hi jack)

johnny.

johnnyrocker 09:10 13 Nov 2007

i achieved a degree of sucess by unticking align to grid then arrange by name and re clicking align to grid if that is of any use.

johnny.

audeal 09:14 13 Nov 2007

Why not just arrange them Manually in the order you want them. This is what I do and I do not have any problems with it.

Also I only have the icons I use regularly on my Desktop and the rest are in a folder on my "C" Drive with a shortcut on the desktop which I have renamed to "My Office" and given it an icon of its own. All my desktop icons are placed around the edge of my desktop which keeps everything nice and tidy. No cluttered desktop here.

pj123 12:03 13 Nov 2007

audeal, already tried that. Works OK on Win 98SE but not on XP.

Next time I boot they are back to two sets of A to Z.

It doesn't matter to me what the desktop looks like, cluttered or not. I only use the Desktop to start and run programs, so once an application is running I never see the desktop except to start another program.

johnnyrocker 12:09 13 Nov 2007

ditto

johnny.

esbe 14:49 13 Nov 2007

Try this click here

Line 188 - Righthand column 'Add Save & Restore Desktop Layout to Menu'

It adds 'Save & Restore Desktop icon layout' to your context menu when you R click on the desktop.

Arrange the icons manually, then click the Save function

Def works for me (XP Home) & is very handy after using Safe mode, as the icons are all over the place when changing back to Normal mode - just click on Restore function & hey presto all the icons are back as you want them.

hope this helps.
cheers

Border View 15:01 13 Nov 2007

Running XP Home SP2 I right clicked on the desk top then clicked on Arrange Icons By then the only one that is ticked on the next menu is "Show Desk Top Icons"

I then arrange them where I want them and they stay there.

Hope this helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?