Argh!! Wireless PC

Alistair-1256377 14:15 07 Apr 2008

I have two computers in the house, one laptop and one desktop pc, both computers are fitted with wirelss cards connecting to a router. the connection always works.

However i have recently replaced the desktop PC and with a slightly better spec, but has similiar wireless card in and still a Parkard Bell machine. The wireless card is a Belkin and so is the router. The card is picking up the signal and displays excellent strength, however when i go onto internet explorer is says server cannot be found. I have clicked to connect to the card, and to make it even easier i have no passwords or security preventing the connection. I can't understand why the internet still does not work. Please Please Please Help.

Graham. 14:20 07 Apr 2008

A possible cause - you may have to connect the new PC to the Router by cable initially, then re-install the router.

Alistair-1256377 14:22 07 Apr 2008

Will try that, but cant understand why i have a excellent signal but cant connect as thats all i did with the laptop and the old PC

mgzteed 16:26 07 Apr 2008

might be the type of card compared to the router spec both 803g is it, or the security spec, are they both wep, or something else and possibly the new computer might see the router but can the router see the computer.
Do the direct connection and check it should solve all 3 issues.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?