Argh! Can't get rid of HotBar on a Win ME lappy :(

Radix Lecti 16:50 02 Mar 2006

Hi all, I'm sorting a mates laptop and all's well apart from the removal of HotBar.

I've run Adaware, Spybot etc but they don't seem to be getting rid of it.

It's not listed in the Add/Remove programs list, and I've tried usung the official HotBar uninstall program (without success).

Whenever the laptop starts, and the desktop loads, I receive the following message...

"Warning!
One or more components from your Hotbar tools is disabled or missing. Do you want to fix the missing or disabled components?

Yes No"

Naturally, I'm choosing 'No' each time, but then I get the following message...

"Warning!
Please be aware that Hotbar may not work properly.
Do you want to fix the missing or disabled components?

Yes No"

I click 'No', and nothing else happens til I reboot, and I'm faced with the same messages.

How can I get rid of this junk?

Thanks

VoG II 16:51 02 Mar 2006

Download Ewido Anti-Malware trial version click here

When installing, under 'Additional Options' untick 'Install background guard' and 'Install scan via context menu'.

Launch Ewido by double clicking the icon on your desktop. The program will now go to the main screen. You will need to update Ewido to the latest definition files. On the left hand side of the main screen click update then click on Start Update.

Then select 'Settings'. Under the bottom section 'What to Scan?' make sure 'Scan every file' is ticked. Select 'OK' and you will return to scanning options. Click on Complete System Scan and the scan will begin. This scan can take quite a while to run.

While the scan is in progress, you will be prompted to clean the first infected file it finds. Choose 'Clean' (or 'Delete' if 'Clean' is not an option). Then put a tick next to 'Perform action on all infections'. Doing this enables the scan to proceed automatically until its completion. Click OK.

VoG II 16:53 02 Mar 2006

Sorry, forget that, Ewido won't run on ME.

Try a2 click here

Radix Lecti 16:54 02 Mar 2006

Hmmm, a2 didn't do it either (sorry, didn't mention I'd tried it).

VoG II 16:59 02 Mar 2006
  Radix Lecti 17:03 02 Mar 2006

Hi, I've read that and tried the uninstall tool detailed there (as reported in my intial post :)).

Still no luck.

VoG II 17:07 02 Mar 2006

Have you tried the manual ininstall instructions on that site?

Radix Lecti 17:10 02 Mar 2006

Yup, removed a couple of the reg keys etc listed, but some of them are just not there.

skidzy 17:17 02 Mar 2006

I dont know if this will work on ME,but it has its own uninstaller and may well help you uninstall the Hotbar.
If it works on Me,also do a full windows clean up.
click here

Radix Lecti 17:19 02 Mar 2006

I've installed CCleaner, it's fixed 204 issues, but the Hotbar problem wasn't one of them.

Also, when I'm using CCleaner to scan for deletable temp files etc, the scan never stops.

Thanks though

alB 17:19 02 Mar 2006

You may have to click "yes" and let Hotbar repair itself before you try and remove it...alB

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?