Are you using TalkTalk for your Broadband Service?.

spuds 19:16 17 Aug 2013
Answered

If you are, then perhaps you can help me with a few questions?.

Are you getting the speeds that you were promised or expected?.

Have you found that the TalkTalk broadband service you are being provided with, have improved, the same or getting poorer?.

Have TalkTalk offered you Fibre optic yet, or is there TalkTalk Fibre Optic in your area?.

The reason that I am asking the above is due to some major problems that I had some time ago, with poor service and disconnections etc. Having eventually complained at the highest level, quite a number of improvements were made on providing me with what I had been promised.

Now I am finding that my once usual speed is now going in a downward spiral, and I was wondering if any of the forum members are experiencing similar problems. I have checked on other reviews, and have find some very disturbing comments.

So can you please help, and perhaps give me some indications or comments to the above service queries, and whether you are satisfied or not with TalkTalk?.

john bunyan 19:48 17 Aug 2013

spuds

I am with Pipex (Talk Talk).About 16 years ago I retired from a multinational and at that time Pipex was a favorite of such folk. I have been with them through a number of takeovers. When I switched from dial up to broadband some years ago, I negotiated to stay on a one month rolling contract ,which remains to this day - even when I switched to (a few years ago) to an "up to 8mbps" contract. There were some very big problems some time ago with spam, which they corrected to a point now when I only get rare examples. Speeds were poor a year or two ago, and I nearly quit.I do not think much of their foreign call centre. However for a year or so I have been getting 10 - 11 mbps downloads on the "up to 8 mbps" contract, which I find perfectly adequate as I do not download films etc, I stay with them as I cannot face changing my e mail address, since I have many long term contacts. If I were to change I would switch to Zen (UK call centre), as I will not accept a long contract. I probably pay a bit too much but I prefer to have my phone line from BT. To sum up, they are OK now but I would not go to them if starting from scratch.

john bunyan 19:54 17 Aug 2013

PS I live about 150 metres down a small lane off the main road so fibre optics could not economically supplied.

H Dresser. 19:59 17 Aug 2013

Are you getting the speeds that you were promised or expected?.

Yes. Exact speed they quoted, consistently.

Have you found that the TalkTalk broadband service you are being provided with, have improved, the same or getting poorer?.

The connection has been more stable the last 12 months.

is there TalkTalk Fibre Optic in your area?.

Not available

Quite satisfied with the service and price.

woodchip 21:14 17 Aug 2013

I am with TT on a 8meg download but did get 13Meg yesterday at one point, testing with BB Max service

Got a letter other day saying that they was making it a better faster service hence small increase in price per month

PS I am about 2 miles from the Exchange where I live, "Urban no Cable" too far out in the sticks

bumpkin 21:16 17 Aug 2013

Happy with the speed, no fibre optic available but don't need it anyway. Customer Service is hopeless unless you can understand Indian, then if you finally manage some kind of communication it is still hopeless. If they are going to be useless at least do in English so I don't spend 90% of the call trying to understand just trying to understand what they are trying to say.

bumpkin 21:25 17 Aug 2013

typo sorry, last bit should read trying to understand what they are trying to say. Extra words " understand just trying to" put in by accident. Maybe that is why they don't understand me :-))

woodchip 21:31 17 Aug 2013

bumpkin As I have two earing aids, I go to Carphone Warehouse, if it looks like its going to be any king of a problem and let them sort it, as when you link to Asian Help service, they just read through a list and they do not let anything stop them doing just that.

woodchip 21:32 17 Aug 2013

bumpkin As I have two earing aids, I go to Carphone Warehouse, if it looks like its going to be any king of a problem and let them sort it, as when you link to Asian Help service, they just read through a list and they do not let anything stop them doing just that.

spuds 22:04 17 Aug 2013

I am about 1 mile from the exchange as the crow flies, but according to BT about 2.3 miles per land-line, and BT have confirmed that my line 'is' capable of providing 6MB. At one point, I was only able to get less than 1MB, and that was the time I started to complain, and eventually was forced to go to the CEO of TalkTalk, because I was not having satisfaction from customer or technical services, who seemed to insist that the problems were via my equipment.

This was eventually found not to be the case, the problems were with TalkTalk and BT as the the provider's. Quite a lot of 'improvements' were made by BT and TalkTalk engineer's, with the end result that I was obtaining the said 6MB on nearly all occasions. Recently though, I have had two disconnections, and speeds of 'struggling' 3MB, which is perhaps showing something is not right again.

Checking on the internet, I have found a number of very recent comments that other people are starting to have problems, including poor customer service responses. It would appear that certain areas of the country are effected more than other areas, and perhaps rural areas more so.

Apparently some people are now being offered fibre optic service, that is being 'piggybacked' with BT, and I was wondering if this is being offered in 'trial' areas only, because I don't seem to be able to find much about this.

Any further contributions would be very much appreciated, as I would like to get some outcome on the issues perhaps being raised.

spuds 22:09 17 Aug 2013

Apologies, I forgot to thank those that have contributed so far, so a big hearted thank you to all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017