Are we being sold short

obbit 12:21 03 Nov 2004

I built my pc 3 years ago. I have replaced the hard drive an IBM with a Seagate Baracuda, a piece of memory has failed and it's still crashing and hard to boot up. Is it software I ask myself or hardware? I am having a great deal of trouble. Is it motherboard?, Is it heatsink and cooling fan as I am on my second? Why does it need a cooling fan? Surely it should be able to work without getting HOT. Second grafix card but found it's monitor thats faulty. I have a conflict with display and sound. I just feel let down by all the makers of pc stuff cos i am really fed up with seeing the damn scan disk about 12 times a day and feel it should work ok longer than 2 or 3 years.

i have had every error report imaginable. sudden restarts are regular.

Win xp pro sp2, 1200 athlon, 384m sdram left from 512m, 40gig hdd.

Rant over. Any ideas as to a really good reliable pc that lasts longer than 2 -3 years?

jack 12:27 03 Nov 2004

I feel that the defective RAM is the root of most if not all your other troubles.
Get new ram alround and dump the existing card. It has more defects I suspect, then merely missing megabytes.

Chris..b 12:31 03 Nov 2004

There could be many problems with the computer...

Damage could have affect one or several parts...it could even be the power supply, it sound stupid but the power supply is important and any surges can cause all sorts of errors..

It sound like the system needs to have a computer engineer to look at it..cause diagnosing it over the net would result in you replacing every part...

If you are looking to buy a new computer look for a dell or packard bell as both have a good range and repairs (in my experiance) are quite fast

obbit 12:44 03 Nov 2004

I feel that pc stuff is flimsy and not up to the job.

The Spires 12:45 03 Nov 2004

Regarding the heat sink & cooling fan, when these were replaced was the correct amount of thermal paste correctly applied, as an overheating CPU can cause all sorts of random problems.

A modern Pc creates a great deal of heat & at least one auxiliary fan at the back exhausting air in addition the fan on the power supply & the CPU is required.

cherria 12:51 03 Nov 2004

"A modern Pc creates a great deal of heat & at least one auxiliary fan at the back exhausting air in addition the fan on the power supply & the CPU is required."

I have never found the need for auxillary fans. Unless you are overclocking your PC, there should be no need of any other cooling than comes with the PSU and the other components.

obbit 12:56 03 Nov 2004

The heatsink had it's own thermal pad. I had an exhaust fan that lasted 8 months before it became noisy. The front case fan has just been replaced because the first became noisy too. It's failure after failure. Flimsy and inferior seems the norm for the 21st century.

The Spires 13:01 03 Nov 2004

cherria I don't agree, the original set up with the PSU fan exhausting air was fine ten years ago with a CPU running at 66 Mhz which got barely warm.

But a system with an Athlon CPU (& the early Athlons ran very hot) in addition to the heat a graphics card, hard drive(s) etc a high output PSU has enough on keeping itself cool with the built in fan. Its standard practice to use at least one auxiliary fan, usually two or more are needed. However if your pc runs fine without stick with what works.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?