Are TV Cards really worth the bother?

rowdy2 22:33 19 Mar 2004

I am in the process of installing a new TV Aerial system and am wondering wether to run an aerial connection to near my PC(s). In view of the mixed results and opinions expressed in threads I have searched in the forum is it really worth the expense and bother.

rowdy2

woodchip 22:38 19 Mar 2004

Well I have one of the first Hauppauge PCI cards and it's never given a moment of trouble. and can connect old Analog Camcorder and record onto hard drive from either TV or the above. So I am still a happy chappy

woodchip 22:39 19 Mar 2004

PS got in about 1997

rowdy2 22:42 19 Mar 2004

I have heard that the old analogue cards worked well but in this digital age with cable/satelite and free to air things are not so simple.

rowdy2

woodchip 22:43 19 Mar 2004

Well it suits me as am old 68

AubreyS 23:13 19 Mar 2004

I've got a PCI TV card in my pc. It works very well and I also have a link from the satellite decoder dowstairs connected to it.

josie mayhem 23:23 19 Mar 2004

Brought a hauppauge Wintv card just after christmas, and I must admit that I am very diappointed with it.

I can't get it to do what it says on the box?

I had hoped that I could record the odd program, and then burn to dvd and play it on the telly.

But I can never seem to get the timer schedualer program to work? I've only manage to suceed on a trail bases i.e set to record 5 mins of telly, five mins ahead. But when I want to record a proper program, it tells me that it has done it, but I can never find the file to play it back, or if I do find a file then it contains abot 10 minuites and then cuts off! Is not a hard drive space issue has I have over 40g's of empty drive?

So I've given up trying.

But any idea's about resloving what going, would be gratefully accepted?

grey george 23:29 19 Mar 2004

I also have a Hauppauge PCI which I used to use for the radio before I got BB. The tv side is ok but sometimes freezes when I use ie6.
There are a lot of things you can do with these cards if thats your bag.
As to wether it is worth it, I would say that if running cables you might as well put them all in, in one go. You never now what your future requirements might be

Demora 23:48 19 Mar 2004

Hey don't knock em. I have the Haupage usb tv card for my laptop and my mum hasn't tv. so when I gp to her house 300 miles away I can at least watch the football.

Demora

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?