Are these viruses?

mjd 23:30 15 Mar 2006

I'm running Norton Internet Security which is kept up-to-date. It has never detected a virus. However I've just installed the trial version of AVG Anti Virus and it found 2 files which it said are infected:
C:\WINDOWS\NDNUNINSTALL6_98.EXE (Adware Generic.GXN)
C:\WINDOWS\NDNUNINSTALL7_14.EXE (Adware Generic.IGR)

Anyone know what these are; are they dangerous are should I (can I) delete them?

mjd

woodchip 23:35 15 Mar 2006

You should not use two AV's at the same time one should be uninstalled

terryf 00:50 16 Mar 2006

I would chuck out Norton and believe what AVG says, it should quarantine these files. According to a google with the first filename it is adware.I did a search on my PC and it came up not found.

NewRoyWidd 01:33 16 Mar 2006

Install a2 from click here
get the latest update,then run and delete all it finds.
I think you'll find that you can have as many antivirus programs as you want without conflicts,most in here have several,just ensure that you only have one firewall though.

bellababy 03:54 16 Mar 2006

It has always been my understanding that only one anti virus programme should be running at anyone time as they can cause conflicts. And it goes without saying keep it up to date.
Is there anyone out there who has the expertise to give a definitive answer to this.

woodchip 09:22 16 Mar 2006

The low down on AV's is you can use more than one AV if only one does a memory check

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:27 16 Mar 2006

Protection Rules

1 Firewall
1 Antivirus
As much antispyware as you like

Norton Internet security contains both antivirus and antispyware

A2 is antispyware not antivirus

NDNUNINSTALL6_98.EXE and NDNUNINSTALL7_14.EXE are adware (spyware)moderate threats that need to be delete

If Norton isn't finding these simple threats then its not worth the money or resources its using, uninstall it and use a combination of free stuff instead.

Firewall ZoneAlarm click here
Antivirus Avast4 click here OR
AVG antivirus click here

Antispyware
*Adaware click here
Spybot S&D click here
*Spywareblaster click here
a2 click here
MSoftAntispy Beta (defender) click here
*Ewido click here

* good combo of antispyware

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?