Are these a VIRUS ???

ozzymodo 21:28 05 Feb 2006

After my son downloaded a file (that a so called friend said was ok) my Virus/Firewall program that I use, which is Pc Guard (we are on Blueyonder) said that a Virus had been detected and it was unable to disinfect it so it had removed it, but advised me to do a scan to make sure all was ok.
This I did straight away and at the end of the scan it said that all was clear and that there was only 2 files it could not read because they were Password protected (I myself have not protected any file with a password) and the two files it named were;
C:\DRIVER\MCDBF\SOURCE1\OTHER.EXE
C:\DRIVER\MCDBF\SOURCE1\SADDON.EXE
and I just wonder if they were legit files or a virus.
Can anyone enlighten me please?

Nellie2 21:44 05 Feb 2006

Do you have a Packard Bell machine? I think this directory is where all the backup stuff is stored

C:\DRIVER\MCDBF
But as to whether those files are legit or not, I don't know to be honest. Check your Packard Bell manual to see if they are mentioned

woodchip 21:50 05 Feb 2006

Nell click here=

Nellie2 22:18 05 Feb 2006

If it was in english that would help!! If ozzymodo wants to zip those files up and send them to me at submissionsATnetstar.me.uk (change the AT for @) then I'll be happy to have a look at them.

woodchip 22:21 05 Feb 2006

In Netscape 7.2 it translates them

skidzy 22:24 05 Feb 2006

Ozzy...Do you know what the file was your son downloaded...just a guess,was it anything to do with a game ?..(halo etc)..Also with the research ive done,it seems to relate to a Packard Bell system you are using.Exactly what Nellie says....Some info coming back in French,some will translate,some wont....Sorry best i can do ..

spuds 22:26 05 Feb 2006

Why not try 'translate this page'at heading point!.

woodchip 22:29 05 Feb 2006

Do you have kaspersky on your PC

ozzymodo 22:37 05 Feb 2006

Hi
I would like to say first of all a BIIIIIIG thankyou to all of you that has replied so far (and this is the very 1st time i have been/used the forum and it won't be the last )
I have looked at the lin woodchip sent and I clicked on the "translate page" msg it was in English but unable to get any more info, but thanks again.
Yes the pc is a packard bell (laptop)
The file was not a game file but an mp3 what his pal was sending him (he won't do it again tho)
Also the pc is running fine ihave shut it down and restarted it twice and i've been on the net and all seems ok (so far)
Again thank you to all for the help and mainly for the very quick response.
Ozzymodo

ozzymodo 22:28 07 Feb 2006

Thanks again to all help, my wife got her pc out (which is the same as mine) and did ascan and it came up with the same 2 files also a mate of mine has a pacard bell desktop pc and he too did a scan and had same result so it seems to be a packard bell folder, probably secured for factory settins or something. Thanks again all

Ozzy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires