Are these the right steps to get rid of ntoskrnl.exe driver crashes

erkmatrix 09:53 16 May 2015

Hi I posted a couple of weeks ago about some random bsod I've been having on my PC and sometimes it just freezes and I can't move my mouse anymore. heres a couple of screen shots of my latest click here and click here both say caused by a driver ntoskrnl.exe. one being KMODEEXCEPTIONNOTHANDLED and the other IRQLNOTLESSOR_EQUAL.

Some days its fine but it must still be there as it did it again the other day.

I've tested my intel 80GB SSD drive with Intel SSD Toolbox and ran a diagnostic test which came back OK

I also have a Samsung HD103SJ 1TB F3 drive for storage but since they have got with Seagate I can't for the life of me find out any tool to test the drive, looked for hours. Looks like I'll have to replace this drive.

So my next steps would be these.

1 - Do a memtest again, replaced my RAM a year ago so hoping it isn't this again that needs replacing, if it is could there be something causing RAM to fault so quickly. How many runs through would you recommend to give memtest for a good picture the state of the RAM, for example 3 passes should mean its OK.

1. If the RAM fails is it best to just replace RAM again or upgrade the whole PC

2. Upgrade would be then

old spec Spec: Sapphire Radeon 5850 1GB Video card Intel Core i7 920 Overclocked to 3.8GHz Asus P6T SE Motherboard 6GB Corsair DDR3 1600MHz C9 Triple Channel ATCS 840 Case in silver Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W * NO HARD DRIVE REQUIRED* 24x Sony DVD RW Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium OEM Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme CPU Cooler Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound

This is what I plan on buying from Amazon Intel Core i7 i7-4790K CPU (Quad Core 4GHz, Socket H3 LGA-1150) £261

Asus Z97-PRO Motherboard Intel ATX Intel Socket 1150 £141.80

ARCTIC Freezer 13 - 200 Watt Multicompatible Low Noise CPU Cooler for AMD and Intel Sockets with pre-applied MX-4 High Performance Thermal Compound £21.90

Crucial 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR3 1600 MT/s CL11 SODIMM 204 Pin 1.35V/1.5V Memory Module Kit £88.80

Samsung 2.5-Inch 120 GB 850 EVO Solid State Drive £49.99

WD - 2TB Desktop SATA Hard Drive - OEM - Green £63.77

I hope to keep any other cooling fan already in my PC if they still work and the case is still in great condition and plenty roomy. And the graphic card as I don't play games anymore so hope to still use the Radeon 5850.

So would these be the steps you'd recommend and would you add anything else to my upgrade list.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

rdave13 10:24 16 May 2015

I'm not familiar with overclocking, out of my league, but that could be your problem? Have a look at this thread, tomshardware.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?