Are TFTs slow?

Alex Zander 11:06 09 May 2003

I've just acquired a second hand TFT (flat panel)Monitor (PROVIEW CY765 17"). The picture quality is fine and dandy but opening files now takes ages. Waiting for a folder to open takes 5-10 seconds and if I open more than 5 or 6 jpegs in succession it can take well over 10 seconds for further ones to appear. This can't be normal - can it? Apart from cancelling my cheque and buying a brand new monitor for loads more money is there anything I can do to speed things up? BTW, my PC uses Windows 2000 if that's relevant. Thanks.

matt5705 11:15 09 May 2003

if the screen is old then windows wont reconise it and may make it run slow otherwise try defrag

Jonathan314159 11:39 09 May 2003

Is this right - I always thought that monitors had no efect at all on speed, they're just taking the output from the computer? And a 17" TFT can hardly be that old...

Alex Zander 12:16 09 May 2003

Thanks for the replies so far. The monitor is only 1 year old. I don't see why defrag would help as there was slowness problem with the PC before, when it was linked to my old standard monitor (also 17"). I've just been told by the bloke who sold it to me that he didn't have a problem with it and he suggested downloading a driver, so if that sounds like the best idea I'll do it.

Alex Zander 12:17 09 May 2003

Sorry, that last message should have read "there was NO slowness problem with the PC before.

woodchip 12:33 09 May 2003

No matter what anyone tell's you they are slower than Crt on games. They should not affect normal Computer activity other than viewing angle

woodchip 12:34 09 May 2003

PS you do need to load the correct drivers

Djohn 13:36 09 May 2003

Forgive me if I have not understood your question correctly, but after reading through it a couple of times, I feel sure that the problem has nothing to do with your monitor.

woodchip, is correct in saying that a TFT will have a slightly slower response time when playing games, but even this is something you will not notice under normal circumstances.

I have run a couple of very demanding graphic test programs on my TFT, it passed each with no problems at all. I also prefer to watch DVD movies on my monitor rather than TV, (Mainly for the surround sound) but also the display is better.

If your PC is taking it's time to find/open/display files etc. then this is more likely to be down to your Hard drive, or even memory problems.

And though having the correct driver for your monitor will help, in the sense of giving you more options to control display, it will not make a major difference to the use of same.

Win 2000 will have found a suitable driver when you first booted, otherwise your display would er, not display! J.

DieSse 14:17 09 May 2003

I agree comletely with Djohn - what you have is most likely coincidence - not cause and effect.

mdshamilton 14:23 09 May 2003

Does your PC have an old video card? I think memory size and speed of the video card might have something to do with the TFT speed.

Alex Zander 15:11 09 May 2003

I had a new, improved video card installed just a few months ago. Maybe it is just a coincidence. I'll do a ScanDisc and Defrag when I get home in a few hours and will let you know if that works.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017