Are Maxell dvd+r discs compatible with dell pc?

fifi1965 21:10 31 Jan 2009

Hi, I have a dell dimension 5150 desktop and have tried to burn copies of home movies which had been recorded from my camcorder on to a maxell dvd+r disk. However the pc seems to totally ignore that there is a disk in the drive and I cannot get them to work on my pc? Any ideas why not and which discs are compatible with the dell dimension?

Also, what would you recommend for external hard drive storage as back up?
many thanks

brundle 23:24 31 Jan 2009

Nero Infotool will show which CD and DVD formats your drive supports; click here

My only experience of external storage is a 320GB Seagate Freeagent drive, using free Syncback to manage backups and a Buffalo Linkstation at work, which is a superb box of tricks if you're sharing files on a network. Some of the more recent USB ones come with backup software.

skidzy 10:12 01 Feb 2009

Dell machines and there cd/dvd drives can be finicky over the media used.I have a Dell Inspiron 6400 that is really fussy over its media,i suggest trying another brand such as Datawrite or Verbatim but buy the -r discs....i find them more reliable.

Brundle has given you an idea of backup storage and the list could be endless.

Depending on the size of backup drive needed needs to be taken in consideration.

Bearing in mind,movies will take up a lot of space.Here are a few ideas for starters click here

fifi1965 14:05 01 Feb 2009

Thank you....that's helpful.
I will buy some new dvd discs, what is the difference between -r and +r? Looks like I will have to re-record all my video camera tapes on to a new disk then unless I can find someone whose pc will burn the maxell dvds that I have.
Cheers

jack 14:31 01 Feb 2009

What equipment was used to create the DVD.s from your Camcorder?
When the original disks were burned were they Finalized?
Unless they were they will only play on the device the created them in the first place.
Finalizing is the answer to most problems ofd this calibre.

The difference between - & + disks is not a significant matter in these situations

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone