Are Intel chips really so much better?

Jimmy230 08:02 20 Jan 2007

If I've posted this in the wrong place, my apologies, I'm rather new here.

I've had a pretty bad experience with an online retailer who has now finally agreed to refund the £1300 I paid for my PC. I'm going to delay buying a new PC until after the launch of Vista, but I wanted to buy it from a retailer who has a record of good customer service, and I was considering Novatech.

The system I'm looking at is the nForcer Elite 5200, the only drawback seems to be that it has an AMD Athlon AM2 Dual Core 5200 64 Bit Processor, rather than an Intel Core 2 Duo processor, which seems to be flavour of the month in all the reviews I have read.

Will someone like me who plays games like Oblivion, Guild Wars etc. really notice the difference between the AMD and Intel chips?

gudgulf 10:14 20 Jan 2007

No you wont notice any difference on gaming performance.

An Athlon 5200 will have more than enough processing power for any game.

It's a fact that the Core2 Duo holds the performance crown right now.........but you aren't playing benchmarks.

With real games it is your graphics card that is the limiting factor.

Jimmy230 10:18 20 Jan 2007

Thanks for your reply gudgulf that really helps. Given that the PC I'm looking at has a 8800 GTX graphics card, this machine should be everything I need.

gudgulf 10:20 20 Jan 2007

I wouldn't say no to one like that either,lol

You'll get better performance in Oblivion than I do,that's for sure!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?