Are Dell telling the truth?

supernovae 21:54 09 Feb 2007

I'm thinking of buying a Dell dimension E521. It is listed as having an ATI 256mb X1300 graphics card, and I've asked Dell if they will fit a better one for me - a 7900GS for example.

The chap at Dell said they couldn't offer any other card as the Motherbaord won't take them. Is this true, does anyone have an E521 with a higher spec card?

Don't want to part with my hard earned cash without getting best value !

Thanks

rdave13 22:01 09 Feb 2007

Seems that Dell won't fit one anyway. True or not. Seems the choice is up to you to find another supplier. Good luck.

spuds 22:13 09 Feb 2007

If you check the Dell website, there are various configurations available. Have a look there, and see if the chap from Dell is correct.

ed-0 22:19 09 Feb 2007

Although the unit does have a PCI-E 16 graphics slot click here The machine just comes with a 305W PSU.

It could be that putting in a more powerfull graphics card could overload the psu, the PSU has not got the required power connecters for the card or both.

Or they can't be bothered.

Totally-braindead 00:04 10 Feb 2007

ed-0 has got it I think, the power supply might be a slightly smaller one in size to a standard power supply and subsequently they cannot upgrade it. I say might as I don't know but look on the bright side its better you finding this out now before you buy it.
Have a look at the Novatech ones and see if you find something you like there. They use standard components and all parts can be replaced including the power supply if you wish.

rdave13 00:15 10 Feb 2007

Agree with Totally-braindead, maybe your new supplier?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?