"aquiring network address" wireless prob

buttonmoon 18:32 08 May 2007

Hi,

I recently set up a wireless network for 3 computers all running Windows XP (2 desktops and a laptop). Two of the computers seem to be working fine, but one of the desk tops that is in a different room to the wireless router has been having connection probs for a few days.

Whenever I try to click and connect to the wireless network from the list of avaialble networks it brings up a "aquiring network address" message and then stays like that for hours.

I have a Belkin High-Speed Mode Wireless G Router connected to the main desktop, and the computer that isn't connecting is using a Belkin High Speed Mode Wireless G USB Network adaptor.

Any help and guidance on how I resolve this issue would be gratefully received.

thanks in advance

postie24 18:43 08 May 2007

Have a look in internet protocol properties and make sure the obtain IP address automatically and the dns server boxes are ticked

buttonmoon 19:08 08 May 2007

I've checked the internet protocals for the computer that isn't connecting and it has both 'obtain IP address automatically' and 'obtain dns server address automatically' ticked.

STREETWORK 19:18 08 May 2007

Check that the Wireless Zero Configuration has started by clicking 'start' 'run' type in services.msc scroll down the window and you will see the WZC listed, right click on it and select start or restart and see if the connection comes up.

postie24 19:28 08 May 2007

Could be something affecting the signal,have you got any cordless phones in the room? Try changing the channel number on router,i think its 11 as default,try 5.
Is it windows managing the wireless connection or is it the software with the usb adaptor?
Use only one of them or they will conflict.

Ashrich 22:20 08 May 2007

I find that changing the security key to something different and reconnecting using the new key quite often makes a difference , almost like it was having difficulties processing the old key but can manage the new one . Go into " manage wireless networks " and delete your old connection then connect with the new one . Hope that helps .

Ashley

buttonmoon 22:58 08 May 2007

hi,

after changing the channel number and trying everything possible to get the computer to recognise and connect to my wireless network, I reset the router to the factory defaul and reinstalled it - with a new encryption key. All three computers seem to be working fine and are connected to the internet.

One slight niggle - the host computer is no longer showing on dhcp list at all - the laptop and the computer that was previously not connecting both show up - but the computer with cable modem and belkin router is not- whereas it was before...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?