Apps slow to start

IClaudio 13:12 24 Jan 2006

Apologies if this has been covered recently.

Although my pc starts up normally, I find that I cannot start any programs for about 5-10 minutes. I double-click as usual, the hour-glass comes up as usual and the hard drive whirrs as usual - and then nothing for as long as 10 minutes. Then the program opens and behaves normally from then on. And once the first program opens, then I can start others immediately.

Naturally, my AVG is up-to-date, and I've done manual scans. Unfortunately, the Task Manager is affected in the same way, so I can't see what is happening during this initial period.

Does anyone recognize this behaviour?

CLONNEN 13:23 24 Jan 2006

Go to Start - Run - type MSCONFIG and press Enter.

Go to the Startup tab and check the list of startup items for any you can safely get rid of (untick).

silverous 13:24 24 Jan 2006

Bootvis is no longer support by Microsoft for end-user use but I believe you can find and download it. It is supposed to tune your startup for you.

PsiFox 13:35 24 Jan 2006

Also have you de fragged the hard drive lately and run disk clean up.

Consider running some anti spy ware apps to check for rubbish that has been installed on the qt.

IClaudio 14:17 24 Jan 2006

Thanks for the quick replies.

CLONNEN - Yes, I've been the MSCONFIG route already.

silverous - Have now downloaded Bootvis and shall report on next boot.

PsiFox - H/D defragged, disk cleaned up and spyware also run.

I have a feeling it may be to do with my new external USB Creative Sound Card (I unplugged it yesterday and thought it was just a coincidence that the pc behaved perfectly this morning. Just plugged the soundcard back in, the pc froze and on re-boot, I had the same probs with app start-up. So, off to the Creative site for new drivers!)

PsiFox 10:48 26 Jan 2006

Did the new drivers sort it out. If so then perhapsyou can tick as resolved? :)

IClaudio 13:52 01 Feb 2006

Ah sorry, thought I had....

No, they didn't make a difference, but I discovered that one of my music apps (GigaStudio) was searching for the drivers from my previoous Creative card and was taking 5+ minutes to find that they weren't there anymore!

So, Resolved now and I shall tick accordingly, thanks for your vigilance!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?