Application blocked - what do I do?

jonnyg111 20:24 27 May 2014

I keep getting this error message - 'Application blocked by security settings - your security settings have blocked an untrusted application from running.' There is no option to override this. I have tried looking at the security settings, but nothing seems to work. I know this site is safe! I am running Windows 7 and IE 11. I have tried searching the PA forums for help on this, but I can't seem to find the right thing. Help greatly appreciated,

Jonny

alanrwood 10:02 28 May 2014

It would help if you gave more info ie what web site,what security programs you are running and if you can identify which program is producing the error message.

jonnyg111 15:57 29 May 2014

Many thanks, AlanRWood, MechKB2, and Jock1e for your help. One of the web addresses I was having problems with was

click here, I was trying to open this via a hyperlink in a Powerpoint file. When I pasted the address directly into IE just now, I was given a much more friendly warning:

Do you want to run this application?

and I was given the choice to go ahead or not. Then I went back to my Powerpoint, and no problems linking this time.

I will try to find other addresses I was having difficulties with.

Thanks again,

Jonny

However

jonnyg111 15:57 29 May 2014

Many thanks, AlanRWood, MechKB2, and Jock1e for your help. One of the web addresses I was having problems with was

click here, I was trying to open this via a hyperlink in a Powerpoint file. When I pasted the address directly into IE just now, I was given a much more friendly warning:

Do you want to run this application?

and I was given the choice to go ahead or not. Then I went back to my Powerpoint, and no problems linking this time.

I will try to find other addresses I was having difficulties with.

Thanks again,

Jonny

However

alanrwood 19:19 29 May 2014

Yes it worked for me but I did receive the usual Java warning.

It probably ran from Powerpoint because you had authorised it already just before.

Maybe the warning message was being produced by Java but was covered by the Powerpoint window so you did not see it previously

iscanut 11:20 31 May 2014

No problem here, like alan, just got the Java options warning and site was accessible. Using Firefox & Java latest versions.

jonnyg111 11:02 01 Jun 2014

click here exactly the same problem with this site.

I'm running Microsoft Essentials as security. I've reset the security settings to default in IE. I've tried in Chrome, got the Java options prompt, but then was blocked after saying yes to that.

I always say yes to my Java updates - which seem to come along at about one a week(!)

Many thanks for your help and time,

Jonny

Had

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?