Apparent Network Conflict

ltrc 11:52 19 Mar 2008

I recently installed a Linksys WG325N router to make life easier for other users in the household. After some assistance form the tech support team everything was fine and, with some machines, continues to be so.

My old Dell Latitude laptop has not been so good however. After a year or so of using open networks in hotels etc, it initially worked well with the linksys router but then developed the following. On starting the machine it would find the the network and establish a connection but then the network icon would appear in the bottom left corner of the screen indicating the 'Network cable is unplugged'; the wireless connection would be lost; the icon would then disappear and the connection would be re-established for a few seconds before the cycle was repeated. Eventually it wouldn't connect at all.

The laptop was inherited from a previous job and had Network Connection 1 set up for the internal ethernet. The icon that appeared when using the wireless network was labled 3 and, when I looked at its properties, was set up to use the Belkin G wireless card but still indicated that the cable wasa unplugged.

The machine runs Windows 2000. Any thoughts on what might be happening and how to correct it will be very welcome.
Thanks

Kemistri 14:18 19 Mar 2008

Why not disable the LAN entry until you next need it? Problem solved.

ltrc 14:56 19 Mar 2008

I have disabled the original Network connection (#1)but it is the wireless connection (#3) that appears to think a cable should be attached when it is (apparently)set up to use the wireless connection.

Kemistri 15:30 19 Mar 2008

There is physically no way that a W-LAN entry could expect an Ethernet cable to be connected! You have something seriously wrong with your notebook's network setup if that is really happening.

Disable the LAN adapter itself, then report back.

ltrc 16:29 19 Mar 2008

The LAN adapter is disabled. The connection that seems to cause the problem only appears in the control panel when the wireless card is installed.

Kemistri 16:48 19 Mar 2008

In the Control Panel? Surely it's in Network Connections? It's a while since I last saw anyone using Win2000, but I'm sure that it has a separate folder for LANs, like other OSs.

ltrc 16:56 19 Mar 2008

Yes, I meant the control panel for Network Connections

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?