Aol wireless network with Netgear-setup guide

joel42 16:54 09 Aug 2006

I know that there have probably been plenty of postings on this subject-but I'm looking for a total networking beginners idiot guide to help me set up. My pc runs win xp pro and I have an aol silver account and have obtained a Netgear 834g v.3 adsl modem router from them. I want to set up a wireless network with my laptop that is on win2000 with SP4 installed and I have a Netgear 511T laptop wireless adapter on order.
Can someone please, please point me in the direction on an idiots guide to getting my computers on a wireless network, and do I need anything else-apart from a functioning brain?

ade.h 18:15 09 Aug 2006

Not being funny, but you won't find many idiot's guides to networks. I can't really see any major pitfalls in what you intend to do anyway, so I wouldn't worry too much.

joel42 10:08 10 Aug 2006

ade.h
Just looking for some simple instructions, eg do I follow AOL's guide, Netgear guide or windows, as they all seem different. Need some basic help

ade.h 13:38 10 Aug 2006

Just take all your ADSL parameters - the defaults plus whatever is unique to AOL (inc. the MTU) - and enter them into a new connection in the router's config UI. 192.168.0.1 for Netgears.

I can't remember AOL's MTU off the top of my head (I have it noted somewhere but I very rarely need to deal with AOL) but it has a responsibility to provide you with all such settings if you request them.

click here I wouldn't describe it as an idiot's guide and I haven't completed the Netgear section yet, but you can read the setup advice.

joel42 19:03 10 Aug 2006

ade.h
Many thanks for your help with this.

ade.h 19:04 10 Aug 2006

I found the MTU - 1400.

Dazza40 21:09 10 Aug 2006

From my experience when running the AOl set up software select No when asked do you want to set up router wireless. Bit daft I know but managed to get it working by going to routers homepage and setting upo from there while connected by ethernet.
I have a speedtouch so don't know your site details I'm afraid. I too am a novice!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?