AOL Wireless Network

Moleboy83 15:23 21 Oct 2005

Hi everyone, i (unfortunately) use AOL Broadband, 2mb connection.

I have recently bought a second desktop pc for use in another room in the house, and am wishing to be able to access the internet from either pc, as when i wish to. as such, i do not need to share bandwidth (if that affects your answers to my question, i dunno...)

Anyway, i realise that i have either the options of going for cables or a wireless network - i choose a wireless network.

anyway, after searching on aol, they recommend a wireless modem router and two usb adaptors - i'd fit one onto each pc.

my questions are:

should i get the modem with usb adapters (120 quid) or should i get a similar modem and wireless cards for both pcs?

secondly, if i buy brand X of wireless modem, can i buy brand Y of usb adaptors, or will this affect their efficiency at picking up waves etc?

phil46 16:56 21 Oct 2005

I use AOL but not for much longer but that is another story anyway i would only use the ones they recommend as other makes might not work.
I use a wired router as the other computer is only about 12ft away upstairs,i did try the netgear wireless router but the problem i had with that was it would work one day and not the next.
Sorry if i misunderstood you but if use a modem you can only use one on a broadband line not two.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?