AOL Wireless Laptop setup problems

EddieA 19:54 31 Dec 2007

Can anyone help.
I have the following setup a Gateway GT3022b desktop PC wired by ethernet cable to a Netgear DG834Gv3 Router supplied by AOL, the operating system for this PC is Windows XP Media centre edition. I have just got a Hewlett Packard G7015EA Laptop for Xmas fitted with a wireless card this PC runs on Windows Vista Media centre edition.
I have tried setting up a wireless connection using the AOL easy installer guide without success?
Is the router alone on the Gateway PC enough to setup further wireless connections?
Or does the desktop apart from the router need a wireless adaptor card also which is suggested by the AOL software.

rdave13 20:09 31 Dec 2007

When you set up the router initially on the desktop using the AOL set-up cd, did you set up the wireless? You have an option not to.If you did you'll have named your network (ssid) and have your network key.
On the laptop you do not need the AOL set-up disk. Just go to start--connect to--setup a connection or network (small blue typing)--manually connect to a wireless network--next tab--then fill in your network name (ssid)--security type (wep or etc.) and then fill in your security key.

EddieA 19:54 07 Jan 2008

My wireless settings were correct.
The problem was resolved when I removed the dial up modem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?