Aol & Wireless Adapters

PallBearer 07:52 22 May 2007

I recently became a member of the illustrious band of idiots who joined AOL, thinking they were a good ISP, unfortunaly unbeknown to me i was slightly wrong, anyhoo, they sent me this Netgear wireless router that i have attempted to set up with my Belkin card in my PC, but they don't seem to recognise each other, upon further inspection it looks like Aol would prefer that i used something that they sell rather than what i purchase, any help would be much appreciated in this matter.

Kate B 13:19 22 May 2007

Belkin wireless card? You can sometimes get issues with kit from different manufacturers not playing nicely but it shouldn't be an issue. Don't use AOL or Netgear's software, let Windows manage the wireless networking for you and that should sort it out.

driving man 21:25 26 May 2007

Have AOL Silver
1) told them they were too dear and eventually they came down to £9.99 per month
2) Use a netgear wireless router with no trouble at all on 3 pc's and 2 printers,
3 Taff, a contributor on here set it up for me
4 I found out that by using my 3 PC's and different screen names can access 3 different sites at a time
OK --this info doesn't help you but it might be useful

SB23 22:25 26 May 2007

Have been with Aol for 5 years now, and I'm the same as driving man, on Silver, use a Netgear Router (free from Aol, with a monthly discount), but I purchased a Netgear wireless card for my pc from Ebuyer. Worked first time.

Change your card to the same brand.

rdave13 23:07 26 May 2007

Just sometimes I feel sorry for AOL; but just sometimes though....

treblebob 07:16 27 May 2007

I've just moved home and want to set up a wireless network.
Also with AOL (but paying 14.99 for silver!!)
I got the netgear router but haven't yet got an adapter so I will get a netgear as suggested.
Just one question though...does the router have to be connected to one of the PC's on the network.
Where the phoneline comes into the house I don't want one and can't be arsed to mess about with trailing wires.
I have two desktops and will be buying a laptop

thanks

missingit 15:47 27 May 2007

^

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?