AOL and WIndows Firewall

Craig.m 20:38 30 Apr 2007

Have been given a friend's machine to have a look at as it is going really slow. Firs thing that springs to mind is an Emachines 3+GHz processor and only 256 Mb of RAM running XP.

Have stripped out a lot of the excess programmes in there at start up and it is going quicker. Keep getting warning about firewall not on and when I go to the firewall control centre it will not allow the button to be clicked to turn it on. Have been to the admin panel and clicked it to start but to no avail. I am wondering if AOL may have disabled it in some way, anybody any ideas?

Does AOL have to boot in with adverts and offers all over the screen? It is no wonder the owner who is not too technical has so much stuff on the PC if she accepts all those recommends that pop up.

provider 2 20:51 30 Apr 2007

McAfee Personal Firewall comes free with AOL but you have to download and register it ,of course. AOL of itself does not turn off the Windows firewall.

The ads on e-mail are a recent, unrequested "update" that people are not delighted about.

provider 2 20:58 30 Apr 2007

In order to stop pop-ups, you need to click "settings" on the AOL toolbar which will bring up PREFERENCES window where all manner of things can be changed.

provider 2 21:03 30 Apr 2007

The only thing I have come across able to turn off windows firewall was a Norton anti-virus program that was coming to the end of its trial period.

Some third party firewalls are routinely able to do this,however.

provider 2 22:22 30 Apr 2007

Forgot to mention that if AOL is running particulaly slowly: Start> All Progs> AOL> System Information (wait for what seems like forever for the system information panel to appear) . Then click Utilities and Clear Browser Cache. This can speed things up quite markedly.

Craig.m 19:41 01 May 2007

#am awaiting a response from Crucial as to what RAM it needs, the model not in their list, once I have dropped that in we will see about the other issues as it is just a nighmare to work with it runs so slow.

joethebow 20:40 01 May 2007

256mb will not run XP properly, especially if you have Service Pack 2 installed. I wouldn't like to run XP SP2 in anything less than 512Mb.

AS for the AOL Browser, forget about it, don't even think about opening it. Right click on the AOL box at the right of the task bar, Start the AOL dialler, once you're connected use IE7 or better still Firefox.

The only reasion ever to open the dreadfull AOL browser is to check if AOL have sent you any emails about a change in conditions or service, which they do to your AOL email address.

provider 2 20:43 01 May 2007

OK. You`ve done the usual clean-up stuff, have you...defrag, registry, IE caches etc.?

provider 2 20:47 01 May 2007

joethebow

Just a smidgin harsh on the old AOL browser that. I find it works well enough and you can do a fair old amount of configuring on it if you like that kind of thing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?