AOL User Identification Failed

stlucia 11:53 13 Jul 2008

Since a couple of days ago, when I log into my AOL account I get the message, "570 User Identification Failed This Web page could not be opened. A connection to the page could not be made. Click the Reload or Refresh button to try again. If the problem persists, exit the service, then sign back on. You may also need to shut down other programs and restart your computer." The screen displaying the message is headed with my user name.

Unfortunately, there is no Reload or Refresh button on my AOL page, but if I simply ignore the message I can get my email, so no real worries. Also, if I Switch Screen Name I don't get the message, and if I then switch back to my default screen name, I also don't get the message.

I've had, and sorted, the MS XP update vs. ZA problem, but I wonder if this could be related because it started at about the same time as the MS update.

ronalddonald 14:41 13 Jul 2008

u load aol using a disc, if so try to reload it form the disc. the other point is when u try to log on did u use caps or small letters.

Peronally i left aol since january this year coz i got frankly fed up with them with to many donwloads etc (now with 3 mobile boradband) and the grabage they show if you put garbage in you get garbage out motto thas aols motto

Anyway give it a try see what happens.

RobCharles1981 14:51 13 Jul 2008

I left AOL in April this year because quite frankly they are a load of Rubbish on a fixed 2mb connection - Now I'm with Falconnet who are an Entanet Reseller for £19.99 a month you get a huge month usage allowance of 30/300, No Traffic Shaping or Throttling best move I have ever made!

See their reviews about them on click here in the ISP ratings.

click here

mrwoowoo 15:58 13 Jul 2008

You can press f5 on your keyboard,which is the same as refresh.

Diemmess 16:03 13 Jul 2008

Trying to answer your question rather than deliver a hate list....
I had similar bother and also the (seldom seen) error message you had.

Can't remember what I did at the time, probably shut down XP a.s.a.p. and found Aol had forgiven me. I might just have switched my router off and back on, though whether this caused or cured the problem, silly as it is I can't say.

When troubled with that security fix, I uninstalled it, downloaded and installed the new ZA (over the top of the existing one) then reinstalled the fix and the problem had disappeared.

If your problem still hasn't resolved, can you access "One Click Fix", its not that easy to find but exists in Aol's help folders?

provider 2 16:07 13 Jul 2008

Or have a look at these:

click here=

stlucia 21:58 13 Jul 2008

Thanks for all the responses.

I tried all the One Click Fixes when I had the MS Update problem -- before I found out what that problem was.

Thanks for the tip about f5, mrwoowoo.

Anyway, the problem seems to have gone away. My home page (or whatever they call it) loaded up okay when I logged on just a few minutes ago. So maybe it was a temporary glitch with AOL's databases, or something.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone