aol update popup

john 11:02 06 Apr 2008

I have an annoying popup that keeps appearing as follows;

'Active update
The following update is ready to install.

Security Update – Critical: Aol has identified a security vulnerability that can be used to execute malicious code. To correct, install this update. You may need to shut down applications and restart your computer.
Install Now
Update 4195.9.4'

I don't believe that this is from AOL, I have run AVG anti virus, Spyware Dr & Registry Mechanic but The popup continues.
Can anyone please tell me how to get rid of this.

Thanks
John

provider 2 12:07 06 Apr 2008

Very odd. I`ve not seen anything like that (AOL 9.0 and XP).

Have you gone to the small button at the bottom right, Blocking Pop-Ups> Set Pop-Up Control Preferences? Here you can block or allow pop-ups including those from AOL, animated pop-ups and special offers. (Doesn`t work for the e-mail page, though.)

provider 2 12:22 06 Apr 2008

This any help?

click here

john 14:29 06 Apr 2008

Thanks for your replies. I am using AOL 9vr and windows Vista.

I wasn't so sure that aol updated software with popups that's why I'm a bit wary. I'll fir the question off to them to see if it is genuine.

Jule 12:41 18 Apr 2008

hi, have you found a fix for your security update pop-up yet? i found your question with a pc advisor search & i am having exactly the same pop-up. AOL have been less than useless when i contacted them, one said to reinstall AOL which didn't help, another said he would 'do something to my computer remotely' that didn't work either. after spending hours trying to get them to help i have given up. the pop-up is so annoying as it freezes the mouse every 30 mins! i hope you found the answer!

john 13:03 18 Apr 2008

I was very dubious about the origin of this popup, I didn't believe that it was from AOL.

I contacted their email help line and they just advised me to install it.

I created a restore point just in case and then clicked the install button on the popup.

I haven't had the problem since and my anti virus and spyware checker is also clear.

Hope this helps

Jule 14:44 18 Apr 2008

thanks for your response John, i should have said that when i click the install button i am told to restart my computer before installation, when i do, the computer just restarts but no installation takes place & the pop-up just keeps coming. aol gave me a link to install it manually but this didn't work either. i have done a virus scan & this shows nothing - it's driving me mad!!

Diemmess 16:01 18 Apr 2008

I think a clue might be this "restart before installation!"

If you click on the popup and allow it to install, the chances are that the update is merely being downloaded and will be installed when you reboot as a subsequent event.

Jule 14:29 20 Apr 2008

thanks for the info. i have tried to install this pop-up but it doesn't install with or without a restart. Nothing i do gets rid of it. I don't care whether i install it or not, i just don't want the pop-up appearing every 30 mins & freezing my screen.
any suggestions welcome

feb 14:46 20 Apr 2008

Follow the link on this page, it might work click here

Jule 15:08 20 Apr 2008

thanks feb, i'll let you know in 30mins whether it's worked!!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires