AOL - unable to access any web pages

reddwarfcrew 19:44 20 Aug 2003

Hi,

My boss has asked me with some help. They are with AOL (not adsl) and they can connect fine and send/receive email, but they can't access any web pages (this page is unavailable).

I know AOL are different to the usual ISPs with their software, so has anyone got any suggestions for me to pass on.

Thanks.

Djohn 19:53 20 Aug 2003

Need a little more info. on this, should be able to type in the url to the address bar as with any other browser. Have a look at the settings for Internet explorer as AOL uses this to access the web. j.

JIM 20:08 20 Aug 2003

Delete your Temporary Internet Files,any change?

Remove the AOL Adaptor.

1. Close all programs and restart the machine. (Note: Save these steps in a text file or print them before closing AOL.)

2. Click Start then Programs (Windows XP users, click All Programs.)

3. Point to AOL and click on AOL System Information on the menu that pops out.

4. Click on the Utilities tab and click the button Uninstall AOL Adaptor.

5. Click Close.

When you next Sign On, AOL will reinstall the Adaptor.Now try going to the Web site again.If no change try below.

Firewall/Internet Security Programs
If you have any Firewall software running on the PC you may need to adjust the security settings to allow you to access Web pages through AOL.

The Firewall needs to be set to allow both AOL and Internet Explorer to pass through it. If this has been done already, try dropping the security level on the Firewall one setting, and then test again. OR.

Repair Internet Explorer

If Internet Explorer is corrupted it can cause problems accessing Web sites. It is not always possible to repair Internet Explorer but you could try the following steps to see if it helps (Please note: you must have updated Internet Explorer since installing it to see it on the Add/Remove programs list.):

1. Close all programs down then click Start, Settings and Control Panel. (Windows XP users, click Start and then Control Panel.)
2. Double-click on the icon called Add/Remove Programs.
3. Look for 'Microsoft Internet Explorer X.X and Internet Tools' - where X.X is the version number, for example 5.5 or 6.0.
4. Select it and click Add/Remove (Windows XP and Windows 2000 users, click Change/Remove.)
5. Select the option for Repair Internet Explorer and press OK and then Yes. Click Yes to restart your computer.
6. If this does not work, fails to repair or the option to repair is not available you could try installing Internet Explorer from another CD.

Last but more likely, Uninstall and Reinstall Your AOL Software. But do try the above first.

Email copy to boss to print out.:)

Djohn 20:10 20 Aug 2003

Also try this.

1. Close all programs and restart the machine. (Note: Save these steps in a text file or print them before closing AOL.)

2. Click Start then Programs (Windows XP users, click All Programs.)

3. Point to AOL and click on AOL System Information on the menu that pops out.

4. Click on the Utilities tab and click the button Uninstall AOL Adaptor.

5. Click Close.

When you next Sign On, AOL will reinstall the Adaptor.

Now try going to the Web site again.

After trying ths, try a repair of internet Explorer, as this may also cause the same problem.

Hope this helps, if not post back, I will see if I can find more info. j.

JIM 20:10 20 Aug 2003

Sorry was busy,did not check before posting.

reddwarfcrew what is THE OS.

Djohn 20:11 20 Aug 2003

Slow typing finger! :o(

Djohn 20:15 20 Aug 2003

Anyway this will insure he gets double help! ;o)

JIM 20:17 20 Aug 2003

Look at the times!! Blame it on Aol Broadband :) :) :) :)

Sorry reddwarfcrew!!

reddwarfcrew 22:11 20 Aug 2003

Thanks for the help, I'll pass it on tomorrow. I believe they are on win98se.

Cheers again.

The Sack 22:20 20 Aug 2003

Change the AOL dial up number from number one to number 5, everyone uses number one and it gets chocka block.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017