AOL System Information - Unexpected error.

F1BigKev 14:02 31 Mar 2008

For over 3 months now I have rec'd the Microsoft Unexpected Error dialog box when trying to access AOL System Information (Sys Info). I have uninstalled & re-installed AOL approx 8 times to no avail, & AOL tech help don't seem to be able to / want to help anymore. I'm using XP and AOL 9.0vr but also cannot connect using AOL software. This just hangs at Initialising & then shows as Not responding. Have to manually connect via network connections and then open AOL software which then runs ok. However, Sys Info still gives me the error message and then closes. Nearly all of AOL's suggested fixes require opening Sys Info, but as I'm unable to do this I don't have anywhere to start. Have run Spybot in case of Spyware, and also did system restores but to no avail. If anyone has had similar problems or can offer any advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

feb 15:39 31 Mar 2008

Hi

Thanks for bringing it to my attention, I am now having similar problems!!!!!!

Are you using a router or a modem?

can you connect to the internet using IE/Firefox, without starting the AOL software?

Can you connect using the AOL dialler?

F1BigKev 16:53 31 Mar 2008

Hi.

I am using the BT Voyager 100 modem, and can connect fine through Control Panel / network connections and Internet explorer. Once online I can then use the aol software (apart from sys info). Haven't tried AOL dialler as not really sure what it is, & don't like to dabble too much. Please let me know if you come across any solutions, as I'm stumped and the AOL tech people only seem to want me to keep re-installing the software.

provider 2 17:01 31 Mar 2008

I don`t know if there`s any fix for this. AOL says VR will run with XP but when I tried it some months ago it produced some weird effects, though not this one, I have to say.

I uninstalled and went back to AOL 9.0 which is still working OK with XP.

You might want to do that or try the new AOL 9.1, though again some say it works fine and others think it`s dreadful.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

These beautiful, mesmerising & subtle GIFs celebrate 30 years of the artform

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017