AOL & Speedtouch 585 & Limited Connectivity PC #2

JADPadgett 09:05 05 Dec 2007

Any suggestions greatly received. My Uncle has just signed up for AOL Broadband and has received the Speedtouch 585 Router. His PC (XPSP2) is in his office. The router is positioned in the hall, downstairs. So i took my laptop (Vista, Vaio) round to use to connect and configure the modem. I hardwired the laptop to the modem in the hall and ran the installation CD. Everything went fine. Connection working. I then ran the Wireless setup as this is how his PC upstairs is to connect. Everything went fine, my Vaio connected seemlessly to the router wirelessly. I then installed the Belkin USB Wi-Fi adaptor to his PC, went fine. I can see and connect to the router on the PC but can only get Limited or No Connectivity. I have updated with the Microsoft patch to no avail. The security on the router is WPA. He has McAfee installed so i thought maybe firewall blocking but it seems as though its only Anti-Virus. Windows firewall is disabled. Spent 3 hours trying to stop the limited connectivity last night but to no avail. Going again tonight so any help to get this sorted would be greatfully received. Thanks.

mgmcc 11:02 05 Dec 2007

The "Limited or No Connectivity" is almost certainly because the wireless adapter hasn't "Connected" (as in "logged in") to the wireless network. It has been unable to find a DHCP sever from which to get an IP address and Windows has defaulted to allocating a "169.254" address.

I would strongly recommend that you don't install the Belkin software but install the Wireless Adapter with *drivers only* and let XP's Wireless Zero Configuration software manage the wireless networking.

JADPadgett 11:34 05 Dec 2007

Having already installed the belkin software, is it possible to remove it and then do a drivers only install?? I didn't realise it was possible to do a drivers only install as I just ran the setup CD. How does one install drivers only? Just plug in the adaptor and set Windows to search the CD drive for drivers rather than running the setup? Thanks.

JADPadgett 20:47 05 Dec 2007

I have now narrowed this down. If i disable security then I get a perfect connection on the desktop. Only when security is enabled is there a problem.

Ashrich 21:43 05 Dec 2007

Go to ...start/settings/network connections , right click on your wireless adapter , select properties , on the centre tab , click on Wireless Networks , tick the box that says " Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings " Ok back to desktop . Double click on the wireless icon on the task bar ( single monitor ) and " view wireless networks " find the Belkin one and double click on it , it will ask for the password twice , make sure you enter it absolutely right , it is case sensitive , then click on connect . You won't have to un-install the Belkin software this way , Windows will just disable it . Try that and see how it works .

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?