AOL slowdown

onthebog 21:40 28 Oct 2006

A friend is on AOL 8Mb service. At present he is only getting 512Kb speeds. AOL reckon that the line is the problem. The modem is a SpeedTouch 576. It was returning d/load speeds of 15kb/s. I have installed an older SpeedTouch 330 (USB) and it reports a connection speed of 4.2Mb, while giving 55kb/s. Will AOL have restricted the bandwidth, or is the line at fault?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Jak_1 22:19 28 Oct 2006

First thing to note is that the service is up to 8Mb emphasis on the up to! Unlikely that bandwidth has been restricted unless they have consistently exceeded limits! Other things to note are what time of day and contention ration? Has an AV check been done and is AV up to date same also applies to antispy. How far from the exchange? Was it faster or has it always been like that? Has the line been checked by BT?

rdave13 22:37 28 Oct 2006

Been with AOL a few years and have some respect to how they try to help their customers.
They have no need to throttle in the bandwidth as they are legaly bound to give "up-to" 8 meg to their best abillity.
When I was on up-to 8 megabits I got the best download speed of 395 kBps which wasn't bad.

You state that yor friend is only getting 512kb download speed? If your friend is actually getting 512 kBps download speed then that is very good.
I can see that your other results, although confusing, seem to be dire speeds if I'm reading this right.

Try this, disconnect all 'phones and internet connections overnight and re connect in the morning. Could be a build up of static. Failing that it could be a failing filter. Replace filters one by one eliminate a faulty or a "breaking down" one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?