AOL server migration issues

realist 11:13 26 Apr 2008

I understand I am now on the new server.

By trial and error I now find that the old AOL software doesn't get me online and I have to go via "DialBB".

Does this mean that I can safely dump AOL 9.0?

Should I try AOL.9VR or is it best not to?

Cheers

Snec 11:29 26 Apr 2008

What is best is to get yourself a router
and avoid AOL software of any flavour. That's what I've done for years, I promise it is the best way to go.

realist 11:42 26 Apr 2008

Thanks Snec.
I have a Netgear router but I'm unsure how to install it without getting enmeshed in AOL again! Also, the installation guide requires me to sign in to AOL which on my PC is not now possible, it seems.

Snec 14:22 26 Apr 2008

All you have to do is connect via the router by entering your AOL name (the whole thing inc AOL.com) and password into the router.

ened 15:45 26 Apr 2008

I also connected manually and use IE7.

I did install aol9vr and use it occasionally.

I am intrigued to know why we should:'avoid AOL software of any flavour'!

Snec 18:42 26 Apr 2008

I did not say anyone *should* but I've read on here many times lately how the AOL software is slowing up the connection for many people. My connection (without the AOL software) is faultless. Others may be just as fast with it, I don't know.

ened 18:54 26 Apr 2008

Yes I have read about the problems and I have also received an email from AOL informing me changes are going to be made.

It was rather vague and I still do not understand if I will be affected or not. I don't really understand what they are doing. realist started this thread about a new server but I didn't know they were doing this.

I don't want to tempt fate but my connection is also faultless and I intend to leave well alone.

I use the AOL browser to check my bill and communicate with them (Live) and that is about all - I didn't even know you needed their software in order to connect.

rdave13 19:00 26 Apr 2008

The majority of problems with connecting to AOL via their software is with usb modems, I found ,reading these forums. Bought a Netgear router/modem (ebay cheapy) a long while ago to replace the usb one and my connection is fine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?