AOL requires sign in / Firefox just loads. Secure?

Loracthims 20:29 11 Feb 2008

Hi there

I use AOL on my Windows XP. Always used IE but just downloaded Firefox - never seen or used it before, but been reading about it here.

Firefox imported all my passwords, etc., but, usually when I open my PC and go to Internet via AOL, I have to sign in to access everything. Now, when I click on the Firefox icon, I'm just instantly connected to the Internet.

I'm just feeling a little exposed with no need for passwords, etc. Can you advise, am I just as safe using Firefox rather than my AOL access?

Thanks for your help.

Carol

MAT ALAN 20:38 11 Feb 2008

Exposed to What!! passwords only protect your PC from other users, if your worried about them KILL THEM ALL!!

click here

the link will help,good luck...

rdave13 21:12 11 Feb 2008

If you're using an ethernet connection then you're always on. Try opening IE7 and see if you're connected without using AOL software.
If so then you need to sign on to AOL just for their browser.

rdave13 21:14 11 Feb 2008

PS, one thing I don't do is use a browser to save any passwords for obvious reasons.

Loracthims 11:49 12 Feb 2008

Thanks very much for your replies. It was just a bit of a shock to instantly connect without going through AOL, which I thought would still happen. I'll try the same with IE7. And I found the master password thing.

Thanks again.

Carol

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?